San Siro home game later this month

SovietGaz

Just a quick one for any well travelled fans amongst us...

I am off to Milan with my better half later this month and our trip coincides with an Inter Milan home game.
She is not particularly into football but enjoys the experience of games and the photo opportunity, we went to a Barcelona game last year and had a great time.

Just wondered if anyone had been to an Inter or AC Milan home game and can recommend the San Siro experience? Or alternatively if Italian football has no room for women or the atmosphere is particularly flat or if every game is marred by violence and racism?

Any recommendations on where to sit or where to avoid would be appreciated.

SovietGaz said:

I am off to Milan with my better half later this month and our trip coincides with an Inter Milan home game.
She is not particularly into football but enjoys the experience of games and the photo opportunity, we went to a Barcelona game last year and had a great time.

Just wondered if anyone had been to an Inter or AC Milan home game and can recommend the San Siro experience? Or alternatively if Italian football has no room for women or the atmosphere is particularly flat or if every game is marred by violence and racism?

Wasn't there for a match (they played the night after we left), but it is a spectacular stadium.....but try and avoid the stadium tour, it's so underwhelming!

Watched Inter win the league under Bobby, atmosphere was ok, facilities shite. No problems with the locals.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys, I guess an additional point would be where you purchased tickets from. Is it worth just buying them on the day from a sale point/stadium? Or buy them online?

I went a long while ago, and saw their equivalent of the charity shield, Milan v juve, Zidane was playing, shows how long ago it was. Avoid the ends basically. The stadium is spectacular, but is a tip. I doubt if it has improved any. Toilets were a disgrace.

I think you can still buy tickets in tabacs.

SovietGaz said:

Went there last season with my mates. My advice would be to not use the subway system they have there. Someone tried to rob one of us whilst we were on it, it was very confusing compared to other cities tram systems and the stop you use for the stadium is a good mile or so from the ground.

On the walk up to the ground you'll get offered tickets from touts, under no circumstances buy anything from them or the lucky lucky men. They overprice them and often forge fake tickets (apparently), and someone I spoke to said police are very 'hands on' if they catch anyone trying to 'steal entry'. There is a clearly displayed ticket office where you'll be able to buy tickets in categories differentiated by colour. I think we bought our tickets in the green area (Level 3 behind the goal). They were the cheapest. We also needed to give them our passports whilst booking the tickets, but it might be different when its not champions league. If you buy a ticket in the cheapest areas and don't like it, you can just move around the stadium to a different area if it's pretty empty. Behind the goals everyone was smoking weed, we moved to the half way line and it was filled with Japanese tourists - depends what you'd prefer really.

All in all it was a good experience, but it was quite hostile and seedy compared to English football. I'm sure you'll be fine and you'll definitely enjoy yourself. The stadium is really impressive! Hope you have a good time!

Loukas said:
SovietGaz said:

Went there last season with my mates. My advice would be to not use the subway system they have there. Someone tried to rob one of us whilst we were on it, it was very confusing compared to other cities tram systems and the stop you use for the stadium is a good mile or so from the ground.

On the walk up to the ground you'll get offered tickets from touts, under no circumstances buy anything from them or the lucky lucky men. They overprice them and often forge fake tickets (apparently), and someone I spoke to said police are very 'hands on' if they catch anyone trying to 'steal entry'. There is a clearly displayed ticket office where you'll be able to buy tickets in categories differentiated by colour. I think we bought our tickets in the green area (Level 3 behind the goal). They were the cheapest. We also needed to give them our passports whilst booking the tickets, but it might be different when its not champions league. If you buy a ticket in the cheapest areas and don't like it, you can just move around the stadium to a different area if it's pretty empty. Behind the goals everyone was smoking weed, we moved to the half way line and it was filled with Japanese tourists - depends what you'd prefer really.

All in all it was a good experience, but it was quite hostile and seedy compared to English football. I'm sure you'll be fine and you'll definitely enjoy yourself. The stadium is really impressive! Hope you have a good time!

Thanks for the advice, Will opt for the cheap seats and move at half time. Also the theme of needing your passport seems to be a major point in Italian football this article mentions more than once:

http://thegentlemanultra.tumblr.com/buyingtickets

Well, just so you know... not all italians are racist and violent ;D.
You can easily enjoy a nice game without any issues, as a Lazio supporter I was in some away games in San Siro and I can ensure you that this is a GREAT stadium.
As someone already said, facilities are not good enough, especially compared to the english ones.
My advice is to watch the best game that you can, so grab a "Serie A" calendar and point out the best game between Inter and Milan for the period of your holiday.

Ps.Sorry for my english mistekes, it's pretty late, I'm tired and I'm Italian :D

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.