Sardinia

Having the advantage of being Italian, I've been there for the last 5 years in late summer. We usually went to the west coast which is less touristy and very beautiful in terms of natural beaches (I recommend the area around the Sinis peninsula, between Cabras and Oristano) and I've also been to the east (the town of Orosei and the beaches around that coast are also wonderful) and south (equally worth visiting but I remember less about it).

I suggest you get yourself a car as it's necessary to reach the best beaches and towns and public transport doesn't really cover half of the region. In terms of prices, it's certainly cheaper than Corsica while having the same kind of natural beauty and being somewhat less modernized.

Don't expect a good English proficiency among the locals nor a very commercial/touristy treatment (unless you go to a holiday resort or to posh areas) but they're used to having tourists around obviously.
In that case, it sounds ideal! I prefer a less commercial/touristy treatment. I especially prefer finding local eateries and getting proper local cuisine.

Arrived in Cagliari last Wednesday, surprised how big a city it is. Driving about is ok but it has a labyrinth of mini spaghetti junctions that are difficult to navigate on Google maps. Reminds me of being on The Wild Mouse on Blackpool Pleasure Beach. A pleasure it is not!

First two days we went to the city beach which is a nice stretch of sand but too busy and stank of sewage. Will have a look round the centre later and go for a drive. Yesterday headed up past Pula along the SP71 coast road which meanders through edges of cliffs skirting the mountains, really is stunning scenery, especially when the sun is setting.

So far so good, nice and relaxed and no sign of the ubiquitous 'Brits abroad' cafes serving the obligatory full English breakfast and the like. Each to their own but I don't go abroad to be reminded of food and drink I eat at home. When in Rome, as they say... Had a lovely bowl of mussels last night and seafood spaghetti. She had Prosciutto ham and melon followed by a local sausage pasta.

Gf fancies driving to Oristana to see the pink flamingos later, not sure why as we've already seen thousands of them when driving on the causeway of their habitat of the shallow water salt plains.

Thanks for the advice so far, will try and visit some of the places mentioned if not too far a drive: )

Last edited:
meant to be amazing,some villages inland are abandoned. meant to be crazy mafia there......but i ve only heard good things about the place........i was craving a visit there at the start of the year.
We had booked to go to Majorca, but with covid quarantine measures in place on return to UK decided on Sardinia. Really cheap flights from MCR to Cagliari with Ryanair and no covid quarantine to worry about. GF is on a home exchange website so the accomodation was paid for in points. Didn't have a lot of choice as almost every home owner had shut up shop with covid still rife. I wouldn't have chosen Cagliari but beggars can't be choosers as they say.

Hiring a car is a must to see anything like the stunning scenery, history and remote locations this island has to offer. The landlord of our place told us to follow the coast road S.E from Cagliari and also visit a place inland called Barumini. I'm told(in pigeon English) it is an historical site. Googled it and has an archaeological monument believed to be 17th century B.C.E. I'm not a massive history buff but would be rude not to visit I think seeing as it's listed on UNESCO World heritage site.

We had booked to go to Majorca, but with covid quarantine measures in place on return to UK decided on Sardinia. Really cheap flights from MCR to Cagliari with Ryanair and no covid quarantine to worry about. GF is on a home exchange website so the accomodation was paid for in points. Didn't have a lot of choice as almost every home owner had shut up shop with covid still rife. I wouldn't have chosen Cagliari but beggars can't be choosers as they say.

Hiring a car is a must to see anything like the stunning scenery, history and remote locations this island has to offer. The landlord of our place told us to follow the coast road S.E from Cagliari and also visit a place inland called Barumini. I'm told(in pigeon English) it is an historical site. Googled it and has an archaeological monument believed to be 17th century B.C.E. I'm not a massive history buff but would be rude not to visit I think seeing as it's listed on UNESCO World heritage site.

Try and get to Alghero as a previous poster mentioned. It was ace there during italia 90 beautiful and free from the 24 hour alcohol ban that they tried to implement in cagliari when we (England ) played, plus there was accomodation there as opposed to spending the nights on mosquito ridden train station in cagliari like we had to, Direct flights now that makes me chuckle, was trains and ferries all the way then. Enjoy your holiday Blue.

Try and get to Alghero as a previous poster mentioned. It was ace there during italia 90 beautiful and free from the 24 hour alcohol ban that they tried to implement in cagliari when we (England ) played, plus there was accomodation there as opposed to spending the nights on mosquito ridden train station in cagliari like we had to, Direct flights now that makes me chuckle, was trains and ferries all the way then. Enjoy your holiday Blue.
Alghero is 254km and a 2h50m drive from Cagliari, so it's a thanks but no thanks on driving almost 6 hours round trip, pal. Will have to be another time if I ever come back. As for mosquitoes, they are not always the culprits of bites as I once found out. Black Fly bites are often mistaken as mozzy bites and are a lot more itchy and painful. Came back from a Spanish fishing holiday a few years ago looking like I'd been peppered by a 12 bore shotgun! Tiny nasty bastards are hard to see and don't buzz like mozzies!

Tomorrow we'll head up to Barumini for a look around and then onto Oristana for a "close up look" at bloody pink flamingos. Gf has a thing with pink flamingos and thinks we can get up close. Wouldn't mind but they were wading only 20yards from the side of the road yesterday: /

Tuesday we'll be driving S.E along the coast road to Villasimius where I'm told has several beautiful small sandy beaches and coves, also nice seafood restaurants.

Had to laugh earlier when we decided to eat in a cheap and cheerful local pizzeria that was recommended to us from a couple of locals. I can speak a little Italian having been to Italy 10 times or so previously so ordered a pizza ai frutti di mare .(seafood pizza) Came with mussels octopus and shrimps as standard but I wanted tonno(tuna) and black olives as extra toppings. The waiter nodded and seemed to understand my pigeon italiano ok. My gf thought she'd do the same and used Google translate to order her meal. She wanted a chicken caesar salad and fries. Waiter nodded saying "si senorina". Off he went to take our order to the kitchen, she seemed quite chuffed she'd ordered a meal in Italian, albeit through Google translate. A short while later she noticed all the tasty looking pizzas whizzing past our table saying "wish I'd ordered a pizza now". 10 minutes later her wish came true, well almost. She got a margherita pizza with chips on the top. I received my pizza as asked for. She ate 3/4 of it and a couple of minutes later the waiter brought her her Caesar salad lol. She was stuffed from eating pizza and sick as a pink flamingo, sorry chip!: (
Molto saporito! : )

Last edited:
I had a really interesting trip out to a ghost town on the coast somewhere near Alghero.

Foodwise, the local speciality is sea urchin. I had it on a pizza and it was delicious. If you like seafood, BMR, then give it a go.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.