Scudamore's latest hare-brained idea - a "B League"

Falastur

Mods - not sure if this is more suited to Academy forum or General, so do as you wish.

So only a couple of years after they created the U-21 Premier League, and bearing in mind that by the time it plays its third season next year it will already have taken three different formats, Dick Scudamore has decided it's time to shake it up again. In response to the calls for B teams of Premier League sides to be entered into the league pyramid, he instead wants to rename the U-21 Premier League as the Premier League 'B' League (that's straight from the Department of Redundancy Department right there) and make it an U-23 competition instead. Apparently, this will solve all the problems with player development?

The only half-way decent idea in all this is the suggestion that the B-teams could get to play senior teams from further down the pyramid, possibly in an expanded FA Cup, but when you consider that that's potentially for one game a season it just seems pathetic. How it this really supposed to improve anything?

<a class="postlink" href="http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11676/9165327" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11676/9165327</a>?

Chief executive Richard Scudamore confirms plans for a Premier League 'B' league

Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore has confirmed that there are plans for a 'B' league to come into existence.

The new league would replace the current Under-21 league format, and would be for Under-23 players with four over age players allowed.

The league would involve the same teams that are in the Under-21 league - which is those who are classed as category one in the Elite Player Performance Plan (EPPP).

That would mean that current Premier League sides Arsenal, Aston Villa, Chelsea, Everton, Fulham, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Newcastle, Norwich, Southampton, Stoke, Sunderland, Tottenham, West Brom and West Ham would be involved along with Football League clubs Bolton, Blackburn, Leicester, Middlesbrough, Reading and Wolves.

Other clubs such as Crystal Palace, who aim to achieve category one status soon, would also be allowed to compete in the competition - with the plan to broadcast the games played from the main club stadiums.

"The Under-21 League is technically very good but not where it needs to be in terms of meaningful competition for these youngsters"
Richard Scudamore
Scudamore outlined his hopes for what he believes will be a much-needed component to youth development in English football.

"We understand the challenge of developing English talent good enough to play in the Premier League first team is how do you get them to transition from Under-18s into first-team squads? It is such a huge leap. You have to have the transition phase, the 'professional development phase' we call it," he explained to the Daily Telegraph.

"The Under-21 League is technically very good but not where it needs to be in terms of meaningful competition for these youngsters.

"The minute you call it 'Under-21' people think it is no use. It needs a better name and a better focus. All clubs recognise that. We need proper kick-off times, using main stadiums, anything to create an experience that is more competitive and more like the first team so it doesn't come as such a shock. And those players in that group should be interchangeable with the first team.

"They should be category one clubs and we are happy for them to be in that league with 16 of ours, and six of the Championship. If more cat one clubs come along you structure it accordingly.

"It should be in all our interests that people have more cat one academies because that's the best it can be.''

Scudamore insisted that the new league would have no impact on the Football League or its structure.

"Having been chief executive of the Football League, I believe in the pyramid. If you set up a club behind the Dog and Duck, make your way up through those 44,000 others, and climb over enough to get to us - brilliant, we'd love to have you," he continued.

Scudamore insists that the Premier League is firmly behind the Football Association's drive to improve the youth development in England.

"The night (in 2007) we lost to Croatia 2-3, poor old Steve McClaren under the umbrella, I flipped. I said: 'This can't go on, we aren't taking this reputational damage any more.' It took a while to get this EPPP into place.

"It is incongruous that we have the (successful) league that we have and aren't seen to be doing better on the international stage. The last eight of the World Cup is where we naturally should be."
Richard Scudamore
"It is incongruous that we have the (successful) league that we have and aren't seen to be doing better on the international stage. The last eight of the World Cup is where we naturally should be. The last four is bloody good. To get to a final would be absolutely fantastic. It will happen in my lifetime, that England will get to a final.''

Commission

FA chairman Greg Dyke has set up a Commission to look into the problems within the English game and how they can build towards a successful England side, and Scudamore feels that the Premier League will show they are doing their bit.

"I know the Commission will be taking a very good look at EPPP and will be pleasantly surprised as to what is in place already,'' said Scudamore.

"All our clubs are searching for that local boy who can make it, the Steven Gerrard, the Jamie Carragher, born within the environs of that club. That's the holy grail. Fans will love any player who is good for their club but there is a special place that fans reserve for the local boy made good.

"I hope the Commission spend some considerable time in their report addressing the biggest issue we've got which is the propensity of people to want to play at grass-roots level"
Richard Scudamore
"I hope the Commission spend some considerable time in their report addressing the biggest issue we've got which is the propensity of people to want to play at grass-roots level. But it's fragile.

"Grass roots is always fragile. We mustn't kill the willing amateur. Are we sure that young people have access to the facilities, to play regular football, in this winter of all winters, when you hear of teams who haven't played since November? Put in a decent 3G facility and you could play a whole league over the weekend.''

Scudamore believes Dyke needs to push the Government for better funding of the game at grass roots level.

"The money we are putting into grass roots is never enough but it wouldn't be beyond the wit of the FA to find some more of their resources and then Government funding again,'' said Scudamore.

"The key objective for the FA chairman is to get that sorted. The urban areas of Britain aren't well served. There are lots of young people living in high density accommodation without an escape through football which is why our clubs are trying to do their bit through their community schemes.

"We can only do so much. What we are doing could be scaled (up) with input from the FA and more input from Government. It is happening. Sport England have now come along part-funding Kickz programme; they see the power of using our club brands and expertise to grow this engagement.

"Raheem Sterling and Wilfried Zaha came through a Kickz programme in a pretty challenging area in this country (London) and there must be loads of kids like them. I can't believe there aren't some more kids of 13, 14, 15, 16, living in these huge tower blocks, who if they had the facilities and a safe coaching environment would become footballers.''

Re: Scudamore's latest hair brained idea - a "B League"

Scudamore insists that the Premier League is firmly behind the Football Association's drive to improve the youth development in England.

Aah, Dicky looking into his crystal ball again. Has he tweeted the Euro Double roll-over numbers yet?

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:

Aah, Dicky looking into his crystal ball again. Has he tweeted the Euro Double roll-over numbers yet?

I can only presume that when he said "is behind" he actually meant "we are being left behind by".

So a reserve league then, genius!

Missing the whole point of the B team really, genuine competitive football.

I Keep hearing that they are putting money into "grassroots football" ; I'm no longer a UK resident, but when I'm over there, I see no improvements what so ever. I keeping hearing about St Georges' Park, where the facilities are meant to be the finest around; however, let me give you a SMALL example: why are Whythenshawe Amateurs, (small example) crying out for investments? They have no club house, no place to call their own, NOWT! As is the case all over the country, actual football "Clubs" are a rarity. In most cases, there are very few facilities, or absolutely none at all. I'd be interested to hear from people that are involved at struggling football "Clubs", it must be like banging your head against a brick wall. It's all voluntary, you get taken for granted and have to work in dire conditions. My heart goes out to you.

Football is a simple game made complicated by idiots!

I agree that there is a huge gap between academy football and the senior game, but if they really wanted to bridge that gap, a reserve team league competition with this under 23 years age limit could be set up with the completion winner guaranteeing that club a place in the following season's Europa League, assuming that the same club hasn't already qualified for Europe via the senior side. This would be a worthwhile perk for many clubs and would surely see more emphasis on each club's youth set up as a result.

hallstreetblue said:
I Keep hearing that they are putting money into "grassroots football" ; I'm no longer a UK resident, but when I'm over there, I see no improvements what so ever. I keeping hearing about St Georges' Park, where the facilities are meant to be the finest around; however, let me give you a SMALL example: why are Whythenshawe Amateurs, (small example) crying out for investments? They have no club house, no place to call their own, NOWT! As is the case all over the country, actual football "Clubs" are a rarity. In most cases, there are very few facilities, or absolutely none at all. I'd be interested to hear from people that are involved at struggling football "Clubs", it must be like banging your head against a brick wall. It's all voluntary, you get taken for granted and have to work in dire conditions. My heart goes out to you.

I agree with what you're saying in principle, but I think you're going off on the wrong track by talking about Wythenshawe. Wythenshawe are at the 11th level of the football pyramid. I think there's only about two other countries in the world that have football pyramids with promotion/relegation going down to 11 levels or more. In any other country, the Amateurs would be considered a Sunday League team and probably wouldn't even be able to register with their national FA. With the best will in the world, the development of top class youths is not going to be powered by Sunday League teams.

Yes, we have a need to support amateur teams like WAFC, and that's why I gave them a vote on that campaign, but when there's 44,000 teams in the league pyramid (I believe that's what David Bernstein, or someone like him, said recently), you are always going to have clubs operating on no budget who see them lose their equipment to disasters like arson, but it can't be the responsibility of the FA to bail them out every time or simply put English football will collapse under financial failure.

What there is a pressing need for, however, is the reformation of the development of youths at semi-professional and professional levels, and getting them playing in the actual league pyramid is an important part of that. I'm not sure I agree with B-teams being added to the league pyramid, but this B-League is not an idea that's going to make any change.

I'm no cynic said:

I agree that there is a huge gap between academy football and the senior game, but if they really wanted to bridge that gap, a reserve team league competition with this under 23 years age limit could be set up with the completion winner guaranteeing that club a place in the following season's Europa League, assuming that the same club hasn't already qualified for Europe via the senior side. This would be a worthwhile perk for many clubs and would surely see more emphasis on each club's youth set up as a result.

I like the idea of adding more competition, but I believe that this idea would fall foul of UEFA's rules which prevent two clubs under the same owners competing in the same competition. UEFA wouldn't be happy about mid-table teams like Stoke, Swansea or the scum qualifying for the EL and then seeing their B-team also qualify for it via a reserve cup.

Yes I know mate. This thread was on the general football forum when I posted it. I just picked up on the grass-roots comments made in the link.

Falastur said:
hallstreetblue said:

I agree with what you're saying in principle, but I think you're going off on the wrong track by talking about Wythenshawe. Wythenshawe are at the 11th level of the football pyramid. I think there's only about two other countries in the world that have football pyramids with promotion/relegation going down to 11 levels or more. In any other country, the Amateurs would be considered a Sunday League team and probably wouldn't even be able to register with their national FA. With the best will in the world, the development of top class youths is not going to be powered by Sunday League teams.

Yes, we have a need to support amateur teams like WAFC, and that's why I gave them a vote on that campaign, but when there's 44,000 teams in the league pyramid (I believe that's what David Bernstein, or someone like him, said recently), you are always going to have clubs operating on no budget who see them lose their equipment to disasters like arson, but it can't be the responsibility of the FA to bail them out every time or simply put English football will collapse under financial failure.

What there is a pressing need for, however, is the reformation of the development of youths at semi-professional and professional levels, and getting them playing in the actual league pyramid is an important part of that. I'm not sure I agree with B-teams being added to the league pyramid, but this B-League is not an idea that's going to make any change.

I'm no cynic said:

I like the idea of adding more competition, but I believe that this idea would fall foul of UEFA's rules which prevent two clubs under the same owners competing in the same competition. UEFA wouldn't be happy about mid-table teams like Stoke, Swansea or the scum qualifying for the EL and then seeing their B-team also qualify for it via a reserve cup.
No mate, I don't mean that. Using Stoke or Swansea as an example, what I'm saying is that if their first team fails to qualify for Europe, but one of these teams wins a 'reserve league', then that CLUB wins one of our slots into the following season's Europa. If that club qualified for Europe by the normal method, any success their reserve team has wouldn't count. I can't see ourselves, for example, qualifying for Europe via this method as our seniors would do it for the club, but middle ranking clubs would have something to aim at through their academies and this would be good for the game in general. Can't see the authorities doing it though.

Absolute bullshit. 22/23 year olds still hanging around the top teams playing reserve team football, rather than being forced at 21 to leave and actually start playing competitive football further down the pyramid sounds like the opposite of helpful to me. Then again, these are the same people who forced through the EPPP, so that probably tells you everything you need to know about their thoughts on developing young players. They clearly think being in academies is better for players development than playing competitively against adults.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.