Scudamore's latest hare-brained idea - a "B League"

Re: Scudamore's latest hair brained idea - a "B League"

Need to be more games imo, in the current set up theres just over 20 league games, surely that isn't enough for players to develop?

Think televising matches might be a good idea, would build up more interest in the reserve leagues and make matches more important therefore increasing competitiveness.

greasedupdeafguy said:
Need to be more games imo, in the current set up theres just over 20 league games, surely that isn't enough for players to develop?

Think televising matches might be a good idea, would build up more interest in the reserve leagues and make matches more important therefore increasing competitiveness.
Well they're quoting at least 22 teams so maybe a 42 game season?
Personally I don't think it's a bad idea or at the very least it's an improvement on the U21 league we have now as long as there are incentives to make it truly competitive.
We must all be agreed that something has to be done because despite the media trying to big them up the quality of English players aren't keeping up with the rest of Europe.

I'm no cynic said:
No mate, I don't mean that. Using Stoke or Swansea as an example, what I'm saying is that if their first team fails to qualify for Europe, but one of these teams wins a 'reserve league', then that CLUB wins one of our slots into the following season's Europa. If that club qualified for Europe by the normal method, any success their reserve team has wouldn't count. I can't see ourselves, for example, qualifying for Europe via this method as our seniors would do it for the club, but middle ranking clubs would have something to aim at through their academies and this would be good for the game in general. Can't see the authorities doing it though.

Ah I see. Sounds a little complicated to implement, but I guess it could work. That said, a lot of teams these days say the EL is a burden rather than a help, so hopefully you wouldn't see clubs deliberately throwing games to avoid it.

ColinLee said:
greasedupdeafguy said:

Personally I don't think it's a bad idea or at the very least it's an improvement on the U21 league we have now as long as there are incentives to make it truly competitive.
We must all be agreed that something has to be done because despite the media trying to big them up the quality of English players aren't keeping up with the rest of Europe.

There are 22 teams in the current format, but they made the decision to only have each team play the others once rather than twice, and they are intending to divide the league into two groups of 11 next season...

Falastur said:
I'm no cynic said:
No mate, I don't mean that. Using Stoke or Swansea as an example, what I'm saying is that if their first team fails to qualify for Europe, but one of these teams wins a 'reserve league', then that CLUB wins one of our slots into the following season's Europa. If that club qualified for Europe by the normal method, any success their reserve team has wouldn't count. I can't see ourselves, for example, qualifying for Europe via this method as our seniors would do it for the club, but middle ranking clubs would have something to aim at through their academies and this would be good for the game in general. Can't see the authorities doing it though.

Ah I see. Sounds a little complicated to implement, but I guess it could work. That said, a lot of teams these days say the EL is a burden rather than a help, so hopefully you wouldn't see clubs deliberately throwing games to avoid it.

ColinLee said:
greasedupdeafguy said:

There are 22 teams in the current format, but they made the decision to only have each team play the others once rather than twice, and they are intending to divide the league into two groups of 11 next season...
Hmm, didn't know they were changing the U21 league again although that made me realise that no dates have ben mentioned for this 'B' league that I can see.

Wank idea.

Falastur said:
Mods - not sure if this is more suited to Academy forum or General, so do as you wish...
I hesitate to point this triviality out but it's hare-brained - I am currently specializing in trivialities ;-)

George Hannah said:
Falastur said:
Mods - not sure if this is more suited to Academy forum or General, so do as you wish...
I hesitate to point this triviality out but it's hare-brained - I am currently specializing in trivialities ;-)

That's annoying. I'm usually a bit of a stickler for trivialities like this myself. Good call.

I don't understand the argument against reserve teams playing in the football league. If they introduce it slowly over time, starting in the lowest division and teams working their way Up I can't see how having the likes of city B, Liverpool B etc in the championship would harm the league. The clubs would have to pass the same test as others to enter the league in terms of stadium, pitch quality etc so it would only be the biggest teams reserves being able to work their way up, it would add competition and exposure in my mind. Works well in Spain why not here?

-- Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:11 pm --

I don't understand the argument against reserve teams playing in the football league. If they introduce it slowly over time, starting in the lowest division and teams working their way Up I can't see how having the likes of city B, Liverpool B etc in the championship would harm the league. The clubs would have to pass the same test as others to enter the league in terms of stadium, pitch quality etc so it would only be the biggest teams reserves being able to work their way up, it would add competition and exposure in my mind. Works well in Spain why not here?<br /><br />-- Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:11 pm --<br /><br />I don't understand the argument against reserve teams playing in the football league. If they introduce it slowly over time, starting in the lowest division and teams working their way Up I can't see how having the likes of city B, Liverpool B etc in the championship would harm the league. The clubs would have to pass the same test as others to enter the league in terms of stadium, pitch quality etc so it would only be the biggest teams reserves being able to work their way up, it would add competition and exposure in my mind. Works well in Spain why not here?

bugsyblue said:
I don't understand the argument against reserve teams playing in the football league. If they introduce it slowly over time, starting in the lowest division and teams working their way Up I can't see how having the likes of city B, Liverpool B etc in the championship would harm the league. The clubs would have to pass the same test as others to enter the league in terms of stadium, pitch quality etc so it would only be the biggest teams reserves being able to work their way up, it would add competition and exposure in my mind. Works well in Spain why not here?

Works well for the spanish national team not the leagues though, apart from Germany no other european country is close to English lower league attendances. Our league system has to much history for B teams imo. Also it would once again add to the monopoly that the big sides have.

greasedupdeafguy said:
bugsyblue said:

Works well for the spanish national team not the leagues though, apart from Germany no other european country is close to English lower league attendances. Our league system has to much history for B teams imo. Also it would once again add to the monopoly that the big sides have.

I disagree it would harm attendances though. However I agree about the financial implications but the B teams shouldn't be able to elligble for league winnings, the money from the league should be allocated between the other teams.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.