Section 5 reform

Blue Maverick

Thought this very interesting going on what’s happening with social media and in particular what Musk was in about. Whilst I feel lots of hate speech etc shouldn’t be allowed however as in the video you can arrested for calling a horse gay! It does seem extreme and open to abuse by the authorities, it is an old act (1986) but now seems to have been hijacked to use against anyone with an alternative view a very slippery slope, when someone is taking offence on someone else’s behalf it’s getting ridiculous.

Thought this very interesting going on what’s happening with social media and in particular what Musk was in about. Whilst I feel lots of hate speech etc shouldn’t be allowed however as in the video you can arrested for calling a horse gay! It does seem extreme and open to abuse by the authorities, it is an old act (1986) but now seems to have been hijacked to use against anyone with an alternative view a very slippery slope, when someone is taking offence on someone else’s behalf it’s getting ridiculous.

You post is very offensive to gay horses.

‘I don’t agree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it’., somebody wise, apparently said.
My old dad had a different take on it.
He always said, on occasions of people sounding off a load of crap;
There’s no point in being thick, unless you show it.

Certain quarters have hijacked this video without understanding a single word of it. The video is over 10 years old and Rowans campaign won as the legislation was amended.

You can't get done anymore for insulting somebody but you can get done for abusing them. I'm sure he was talking from a comedy type free speech perspective and not for example racism which would be abusive. Comedy is highly unlikely to be abusive but it obviously could be insulting.

people have forgotten the age old adage it is better to remain silent and be thought an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt, quite why people think that the world needs to hear every thought that comes into their head is a mystery to me.

Hard to disagree with much of what he said there. My youngest says her current generation are the most divided ever broadly because of this constant state of being offended on behalf of someone else.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.