Seeding for Champions League - City in Pot 3, not pot 4

Goater666 said:
Personally I'd rather we got a group of death. 3 absolutely amazing games at home, full stadium to boot.

Barcelona, AC Milan and Dortmund please.

You will get your wish! No point either worrying about it or wanting us to be in the group of death because we ARE in the group of death. Look at pots one and two – there’s no way a group can be made up of us and any combination of teams from those two pots and it not be the group of death.
Manchester city = group of death

Plain Speaking said:
Its strange how we are rated 24th in CL seedings but 12th in the current Euro club index. I wonder how long it will take us to climb up the CL rating our coeffiecient is a third that of United!

Not really. The ECI is a very accurate snapshot of how good teams are now relative to each other but has nothing to do with UEFA. Uefa's coefficients are more historical and are heavily weighted to European results in the last five years.

Nobody will want to draw us as in reality we are a pot 2 team.

I can't wait for our first home game. The CoMS draped in Champions League banners/logos, the theme song before kick off. The hairs on my neck are standing up just thinking about it.

Bring it on whoever we get!!

I'm right in thinking Spurs would have been a pot three team and it did'nt do them any harm...and to my mind we would have a stronger squad than Spurs so we should face it with confidence.

You can bet your bottom dollar that we will be the team that all those in pots 1 and 2 want to avoid....happy days!!

ste.sully said:
So now the season (sadly for the first time) is over, I guess our attention switches to transfers and Champions League anticipation.

The draw for the group stages of the Champions League is on the 25 August 2011, so still a while away. But someone has already compiled a preliminary seeding tables for the pots which will be used for the draw.

Fortunately, at the moment anyway, it looks as if we've just crept into Pot 3. Pot 4 are the lowest seeded teams so being in pot 3 is a bonus.

5756106727_e33a5ef367_z.jpg

The main worry is avoiding a "group of death" scenario. I think many would agree (non-City fans too) an FA Cup & 2nd on points in Europe's strongest league combined with some new transfers would warrant us a place in pot 2.

A group like, lets say:
Real Madrid
AC Milan
Manchester City
Dortmund

would be a baptism of fire, but luckily the odds aren't well against the chances of that combination happening. If we can get past the group stage you can all sigh in relief that it is last 16, QF, SF & Final. Not the ridiculous marathon that is the Europa League which really affected our season after Christmas.

Porto
Villareal
CITY
Zagreb/Salzburg

That would be a decent group for us in terms of qualifying :)

spurs won the group as a 3rd pot team so i'd be happy with

inter
marseille
maccabi haifa

lille are best avoided from pot 4 as they've become a very good side over the last couple of seasons.

Goater666 said:
Personally I'd rather we got a group of death. 3 absolutely amazing games at home, full stadium to boot.

Barcelona, AC Milan and Dortmund please.

TBH if we were to get knocked out at the group stage I'd rather we finish 4th rather than 3rd to avoid dropping into the Europa League which could de-rail our league challenge.

Other than that my criteria is 1) no long trips to the far side of Russia, 2) prefer clubs with big stadia where I'm more likely to get a ticket, my wife still hasnt forgiven me for not being able to take her to Turin.

Barcon said:
Does anybody know when our first game will be played?

13/14 September

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/calendar2011.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uef ... r2011.html</a>

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.