Seeing the same band/artist over and over and over

RACHACE

http://www.olbg.com/blogs/post.php?id=409471
Admittedly inspired by Mad Eyed Screamers dedication to watching Morrissey but also a bloke I work with who's seen Gary Numan loads of times too but not many others.

What's the deal with that? The same artist time and time again, I'd imagine a similar set unless a new album is out but even then most gigs are still filled out with their classics that most like (unless you're Morrissey of course as he's a prick).

Think the most I've seen a band is 3 times, those being oasis, elbow, pulp, Seaford Mods and ironically Morrissey.

I've seen plenty of others and would be gutted to have missed out on seeing those other gigs had I chosen to follow 1 particular band.

It might be that Mad Eyed Screamer does indeed go to plenty of other shows but over 50 Morrissey gigs is a big amount to that 1 artist.

Anyone else do that kind of thing? Or, like me do you prefer to see a range of bands you like?

Would always prefer to see a new band given the choice, there is not just one band who shaped me over the years. But I think part of that now is the expense - to see a known band who have already made it is going to cost me around £50 per go for the ticket alone, and I know I can see 3 'smaller' bands for that price. Multiply that by 10 gigs, and that's a hell of a lot of other music I could have experienced. Sure, it won't all be as good, but for me the actual experience is just as good. I've walked out of gigs by Nordic folk metal bands not knowing a song or even a word beyond 'hey!' but absolutely buzzing and loved every minute.

But it's also about balance, no way you can replace the feeling of seeing an Iron Maiden or Metallica, if they are your kind of thing for example. I don't mind a stadium band, but I'd rather attend a smaller venue and that usually means a less renowned band, and cheaper too.

Most I have seen one band is 5 times, three of those when they came to Manchester, and two at festivals. That's excluding a band my mate used to be in which doesn't count.

I know someone who followed the cure around for months, city to city, show to show. Cost them a fortune but made him happy enough.

Admittedly inspired by Mad Eyed Screamers dedication to watching Morrissey but also a bloke I work with who's seen Gary Numan loads of times too but not many others.

What's the deal with that? The same artist time and time again, I'd imagine a similar set unless a new album is out but even then most gigs are still filled out with their classics that most like (unless you're Morrissey of course as he's a prick).

Think the most I've seen a band is 3 times, those being oasis, elbow, pulp, Seaford Mods and ironically Morrissey.

I've seen plenty of others and would be gutted to have missed out on seeing those other gigs had I chosen to follow 1 particular band.

It might be that Mad Eyed Screamer does indeed go to plenty of other shows but over 50 Morrissey gigs is a big amount to that 1 artist.

Anyone else do that kind of thing? Or, like me do you prefer to see a range of bands you like?
@Mad Eyed Screamer has seen Morrissey over 50 times!?!

Is that circa 75-100 hours of Morrissey live (and how many of those shirts have been amassed)?

I've never seen a band/artist live more than once, I don't think. Just don't get the urge to see them again, certainly not soon after. But I'm one of those people who generally prefers recorded studio music to live performances, except maybe classical, choirs or big band/brass band, that needs to be heard live.

Saw Oasis about 60 times, Noel solo about a dozen and Liam solo once. Me and my mates went all over UK and Europe for couple days at a time - had some great trips away to Aberdeen, Glasgow, Paris, Milan etc. Best gigs were the Maine Road ones - was 16 at the time and got into the front pit both nights. Lot of people will say it was a waste of money - suppose it was - but the memories make up for it

Have seen Yes at least half a dozen times, Steve Hackett 4 or 5 times, Genesis a couple of times, NGHFB a couple of times, REM a couple of times. Usually after I have seen a band a couple of times thats enough. I wont see Yes again as John Anderson has left.

Everything else has been single concert only. The bands I wish I had seen more than once are Led Zeppelin, Kate Bush, the Who in their prime. Oasis. Springsteen. Bowie

Bands I never saw live and I wish I had, Cream, Hendrix, Stone Roses, The Smiths, Prince.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.