Sega Saturn

Nebuchadnezzar

I was on a bus in town the other day and heard a lad discussing his dissertation with his mate. From what I could gather it was about Consoles, and how Sony and Microsoft compete with each other, etc etc.

Got me thinking about my consoles. I had a Mega Drive, then a Sega Saturn, and then a PS2, and now have a Wii, which I only used to play a Zelda game.

Did anyone on BM have a Sega Saturn? If so, what did you think of it, and its untimely demise? And what games did you play?

Killed by:

Dual processors sharing the same BUS and RAM (having to parallelize the code)
Lack of useful software libraries and development tools, requiring developers to write in assembly language
Saturn rendered quadrilaterals. This proved to be a hindrance because most of the industry's standard design tools were based on triangles

Games I had:

Athlete Kings
Daytona USA
House of The Dead
Mortal Kombat II
Outrun
Sega Rally
Sega Touring Cars
Virtua Cop
Virtua Cop 2
Virtua Fighter
Virtua Fighter 2
Virtua Racing
Virtual On
Virtual Open Tennis
VR Soccer

Those were the main ones that I can remember. Used to work in a bowling alley with a big arcade. Used to practice like mad at home so I could kick ass when we got to play on the Arcades for free after work.

Cheers for that little insight there mate, I never realised those factors would be reasons! In my mind, I thought it would be due to simply not being able to compete with the Playstation 1.

I didn't get the Sega Saturn 'til I was 8-9; this would have been in 1999/2000, by which time they had already stopped making games some years before. I always remember walking home with a mate and his Dad one day from school, and his Dad being incensed that he had shelled out for the Sega Saturn only a few months earlier, and then they stopped making games. When I got mine, I was thrilled just to have something different, as my only console before that was my older sisters old Mega Drive. Parents preferred to spend on toys instead, rather than consoles, which I totally understand.

I had shitloads of games mate! Too many to name, and some were pretty crap..Glad i'm not the only one here who has experienced Athlete King! It was more my Dad's kinda thing though, he was more of a button basher than me...he broke many records on many arcase versions of that game.

My favourites were: Worldwide Soccer '97 (remember playing as England and beating Spain 23-0 once!), Worldwide Soccer '98 (which had club teams aswell as international teams...I played this in our "Gillingham promotion year", and I edited the names of the Chelsea players to match ours :) ). Had Duke Nukem 3D, Croc (awesome, but my disc was faulty), Shining Force 3 (kind of Final Fantasy-ish - over 52 hours long, RPG fantasy thing). I got that game out a few years ago one day after Uni, and had to purchase a new lithium battery for the console (annoying thing about the Saturn - saving to the system was risky incase the battery ever went), and I played it through to find that about 18 hours in, my disc was bugged :( However, this game is INCREDIBLY rare in the UK, and is actually worth £175, so I intend to flog it ;)

My all time favourite was "Guardian Heroes". My God. Anime-ish (not my usual type of thing), hack 'n' slash adventure game, with a great storyline, and the opportunity at certain parts of the game to make your own decisions as to where you wanted to go next, which could result in numerous different endings to the game....crazy fight scenes too, just imagine flying around the screen, kicking arse, of about 40 different guys. Amazing. Very weird too, every now and then you'd encounter this band of ridiculously muscly guys in one-pieces, and always end up having mass battles with them.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx0jJgBa4YM[/youtube]

Some clips of the game - even that doesn't do it justice.

glen quagmire said:
I had a saturn, sega rally was the don.

I had that too GQ, but driving games have never really been my favourite.
It did have the most cheerful acknowledgement of failure in that game though:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09s-c2JVI40[/youtube]

Due to this, I never really minded losing ;)

GAME OVER, YEAAAAAAAH!

Clubber said:
Another mint console, which never hit its pom was the Dreamcast. The memory cards were something else and you got a free game, choo choo rocket, which was class.

Never owned a Dreamcast myself mate, had a little go on my cousin's console though and thought it was okay...I know that 10 minutes isn't enough time to come to a reasoned conclusion anyway, especially when you're about 9. I liked the Rayman game I had a go of though.

P.S -we do not have to discuss just the Sega Saturn; I am very happy to discuss any console :) so don't shy away if you didn't have a Sega Saturn.

I remember being totally thrilled by the PS1 Final Fantasy games. I had 7,8 and 9, but only really liked 7 and 9. I played 7 first, but FF9 is the absolute one for me, and possibly my favourite game, ever.

Whilst you girlz were pissing around with a kidz machine i had a Panasonic 3DO

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3DO_Interactive_Multiplayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3DO_Intera ... ultiplayer</a>

A few years after i went to a pub for a bit of Karaoke and low and behold the 3DO was being used as the Kara machine.

talkativesprout said:
Whilst you girlz were pissing around with a kidz machine i had a Panasonic 3DO

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3DO_Interactive_Multiplayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3DO_Intera ... ultiplayer</a>

A few years after i went to a pub for a bit of Karaoke and low and behold the 3DO was being used as the Kara machine.

Never seen/heard of that mate! Thanks for the supporting Wikipedia article, i'll give it a read later :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.