Self-employed & Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ric, 22 Mar 2020.

1. nmc

nmc

Good luck - I hope you get the help you are entitled to.

2. nmc

nmc

Are you a direct employee? Are you on a permanent contract - say 40 hours? Check your contract - very few contracts have a lay-off clause so your employer may not be able to simply slash your hours and earnings. In simple terms you’d probably be better off “laid off” in these circumstances and getting 80 per cent of your normal pay up-to £2,500 than being pissed around like that. This crisis is really showing us the good, the bad and the fucking ugly in terms of employers. Unfortunately for every good one there seems to be three bad and a couple of uglies.

3. staffs_blue

staffs_blue

My wife is a self employed mobile hairdresser. She only works about 30 hours a week and works around the kids schooling.

She has had to stop working as all hairdressers have but also she is in the at risk category if she catches COVID-19

She rarely makes more than £200pw.

Will she be entitled to anything?

ADVERTISEMENT

4. OB1

OB1

There's less advantage than there used to be but you still save on NIC (EE & ER). Also, if you have husband and wife as shareholders, you can potentially reduce exposure to higher rate tax.

tolmie's hairdoo likes this.
  5. Rammy Blue

Rammy Blue

Yes, she will get the 80% of her average pay over last 3 years, relating to her self assessment filings.

6. staffs_blue

staffs_blue

That's reassuring to hear. I read somewhere that people who earn under the £12k tax threshold would basically get nothing!

7. tolmie's hairdoo

tolmie's hairdoo

Thanks mate, but my wife in a teacher and draws her own salary from that, she's not on my books for anything more than a shareholder.

OB1 likes this.
  8. tolmie's hairdoo

tolmie's hairdoo

Here is a hypothetical....what if you ignored the plea from the government and did not take up their 80 per cent furloughed employee status?

In respect of a small Ltd company sacking their employee (spouse) and having to hand her a severance package as a result.

flook and Rammy Blue like this.
  9. tolmie's hairdoo

tolmie's hairdoo

And what if said Ltd company didn't have the cash at bank to pay off the employee/shareholder, but I could loan that cash to my company?

Could I loan it £20k, the business then hands it to my wife as a pay-off, and the business owes me £20k which is could never hope to pay back - can I offset the debt against tax?

10. flook

flook

Really pisses me off this, even the missus thinks it's a fiddle

tolmie's hairdoo and Ric like this.