Self Isolation: Time to Learn New Skills...?

Duolingo - very popular, has it's flaws but a great way to begin a new language.

Hard to offer advice without knowing what you want to do really. If you have a guitar laying about you always thought you'd learn to play, people could suggest sites or apps etc, but just "what can I learn" is such a broad question.

I might use that to boost the small Spanish I know!

I'd swap that for speed typing!

Good call!

I always use Duolingo so can't count it as a new skill although I'm always learning.

Recently I've been having a play around with Photoshop, I love travelling and obviously can't do that at the moment, so I'm seeing what I can do with my photo's from Ephesus and Rome last year. There is so much to learn though but I'm enjoying it.

Maybe video editing next, although I know a bit more about that.

I love Photoshop and video editing!

Not gonna refresh that as I know what I'm like once I start!

Both addictive and time consuming, especially if you're a 'details' kind of person!

I need to start learning German. I’ve been to Germany five times and can’t do simple things like order a drink or greet somebody. Literally every person in service from bars to shops to hotels can speak excellent English. It’s embarrassing. No excuse for it.

I need to start learning German. I’ve been to Germany five times and can’t do simple things like order a drink or greet somebody. Literally every person in service from bars to shops to hotels can speak excellent English. It’s embarrassing. No excuse for it.
Good point. Most foreigners I've come across speak better English than me. Especially the Bosch and their humour isn't far behind...

In your defence there are too many languages to practically learn and the chosen language of business is English, that's why the Germans learn it, they have a valuable resource in films and music they can get a handle on too. My point is that many Germans can't speak French or Spanish because they have no need to.

I’d argue French and Spanish is spoken all around the world too. One ex was a Swede and she’d began to learn English from Primary School age. I’ve GCSE’s in both and can manage to place orders for food etc.

In Berlin, my Airbnb landlord only spoke basic English but we got by with instructions. Ditto one or two shop assistants. It’s the bars with Sky Sports and hotels where the staff are usually fluent. An Irish bar in Düsseldorf was advertising for English speaking staff etc.

In my first circle of friends in London, we had a Swede and Icelandic who only ever spoke to each other in English as it’s the language they both mutually understood.

Well, I know my air guitar of 'Purple Rain' solo has dwindled, so now I need to practice and my kids gets will get to see a maestro at work...

That reminds me I must get some of the artist known as symbols stuff downloaded, the little maestro could knock out a tune.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.