Self service tills in supermarkets.

And it is because of this that they are there. If there were more tills with operators then there would be less queues. You are doing someone out of a job and increasing supermarket profits.

Everything you do in life will put somebody out of a job somewhere down the line.

If I drive to work I'm taking a fare away from a cabbie.
If I text my mate happy birthday instead of sending him a card its less work for the postmen.
If I decide to go vegan its the abattoirs that have to start laying people off.

I'm sure youve got my point by now.

When I’m in a shop that has them I use them. But I do my big shop at Lidl, which doesn’t have them so if I wanted only a few bits I’d go to a store which does

I’m not sure how a person could do a big shop as the self-checks seem to demand everything is put on that small space

Do they stop employment? If people can buy more things quickly then surely the shelves will need stacking quicker? Also, do they not created higher-skilled jobs through improvements, Maintenance and other related jobs?

Everything you do in life will put somebody out of a job somewhere down the line.

If I drive to work I'm taking a fare away from a cabbie.
If I text my mate happy birthday instead of sending him a card its less work for the postmen.
If I decide to go vegan its the abattoirs that have to start laying people off.

I'm sure youve got my point by now.

Aye some progress is good.
Other progress less so.
As consumers we can choose not to use things we disagree with.
So self service tills in supermarkets are boycotted by me.

Never use them, not for any moral reasons, more that I'm the kind of spaz who will get it wrong, have all the lights flash and I'll end up waiting for someone to come sort it. When instead I can just hand it to someone who sorts it all for me, maybe after queuing for all of 2 minutes. I'm frequently buying stuff that might be a bit awkward to self checkout anyway tbh, like an individual croissant or some fruit, so I guess I might be more inclined if the queue was big and I was just buying a couple of things with barcodes on them

When I walk past the self service tills I always shout "they're stealing" . You can tell which ones are by the look of 'you twat' on their face.

I heard somewhere that since the introduction of these machines Tesco found they had a massive up serge in the sale of carrots and potatoes - So big that they had sold more carrots and potatoes than they had actually bought!

Depends where I'm shopping and what I'm buying. I use them at Home Depot wouldn't use them at a grocery store for a big shop.
Then again, I don't go to the grocery store for a big shop, my wife does.

Lot of old farts in here who hate change ;)

On a serious note, if its for a small shop (pint of milk, loaf of bread or sumat) I use them every time. Takes seconds and is notably quicker than having to queue for some shop assistant to do exactly what you can do yourself, but with less faff and questions.

I honestly don't get why so many find them confusing. They're pretty straight-forward. I admit they're annoying when the lights go off, but it still ends up quicker than queuing for an assistant in most shops, as those queues are usually full of older people who take far too much time. Or some cashier who is genuinely dreadful and takes forever to do the simplest of tasks. It's also genuinely annoying being stood behind queues of people slowly packing bags while chatting shite to some cashier. It takes about 3 or 4 times longer.

I get the job thing of course, but yeah... we all do things that cost people jobs. None of us were particularly arsed when the internet killed off yellow pages for example. Most of us aren't too arsed that most local shopping centres have been killed off, as we've got Amazon accounts. It's sad, but that's life innit.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.