Self service tills in supermarkets.

I heard somewhere that since the introduction of these machines Tesco found they had a massive up serge in the sale of carrots and potatoes - So big that they had sold more carrots and potatoes than they had actually bought!

Not surprising.
It makes one wonder how they recoup their lost profits though.
Lay off a few more checkout staff,and raise prices,would be my guess.

There are some real dinosaurs in the world. Technology is exponential and we have never faced the changes coming on such a grand scale so quickly.
5 years- Driverless Cars = Uber and Taxi Drivers out of work in the next 5 years.
10 Years Driverless Trucks = Haulage drivers gone.
11 Years Road accidents all but wiped out - Paramedic numbers fall drastically = strain on blood banks reduced, world wide shortage of Organ donors (Yes road deaths account for a very large % of them)
15 Years Universal Basic Income introduced in many countries, Working hours drastically reduced, job share. No economy can survive with the collapse of the transport industry, none.
All that is just autonomous cars and the transport industry let alone other areas.

And some people won't use self service tills.

very useful when buying a newspaper, and the till for cigs and papers has a static queue round the block because some( deep breath) "person" is having a raft of lottery lucky dips checked, and then cant decide which scratch rip-off card to waste their money on. Plus the machine doesn't tut and frown when you buy a mars bar with a twenty...

There are some real dinosaurs in the world. Technology is exponential and we have never faced the changes coming on such a grand scale so quickly.
5 years- Driverless Cars = Uber and Taxi Drivers out of work in the next 5 years.
10 Years Driverless Trucks = Haulage drivers gone.
11 Years Road accidents all but wiped out - Paramedic numbers fall drastically = strain on blood banks reduced, world wide shortage of Organ donors (Yes road deaths account for a very large % of them)
15 Years Universal Basic Income introduced in many countries, Working hours drastically reduced, job share. No economy can survive with the collapse of the transport industry, none.
All that is just autonomous cars and the transport industry let alone other areas.

And some people won't use self service tills.
That said alot but said nothing.

Can’t buy alcohol at the fucking things either, as you need one of the staff to verify anyway. Considering it’s not very often that alcohol doesn’t form part of my shop it makes it even less use for me.

Use staff all the time - funnily enough as posted by someone earlier in the thread too, I actually had some old geezer tell me to use a self service the other day, and I said to him you do realise this is doing yourself out of a job, lol.

Don't like these. Ok if your just getting one thing for lunch but,a pain in the arse for a whole shop. If you do bring your own bag it confuses them and you have to wait for,a human. Light weight things don't trigger the scale and set off a thief alarm until a human comes to check. If I want to buy medicine, glue, alcohol I've got to wait for,a human.Overall slower rather than quicker than a till. These seem to have come in around the same time as zero hrs contracts and I'd be surprised if employees haven't been shafted in some way. As for keeping prices low, if any of you think supermarkets would do this rather than just pocket the saving in op costs then please pm me your bank details and I'll send you some money.
Overall, if I wanted to work at the checkout I'd have applied for a fucking job there. It's shit.

The big shop and the heavy stuff we always used to get delivered to our hobbit hole until Tesco decided on saving another pod of Dolphins and another Hector of ripened rain forest all at our expense. Home delivery without the need for bags said the faceless bored room gimps so Norman brings it on in and there is now three of us dancing the tango in our galley kitchen desperately trying to find our own space and remove the produce from out of dirty wicker baskets that have probably spent a short penance in dog piss and bacterial shite @a pavement near you. So we cancelled down Tesco's and our mammoth shops are all now done at Aldi's where the check out operator always speak to you with a cheery hello before hyper skimming the goods into your waiting trolley. We occasionally use robots at the self service check outs and find them to be not only responsive to our needs but also efficient and ultra polite so we can only speak as we find but we would not do a large shop with them as it could be fraught with difficulty due to the irritating nuances of the programmers that wrote the software. In and out like our man Flint and job done and everyone's happy in Little Hartley.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.