Self service tills in supermarkets.

They have to be one of the worst ever inventions, I hate using them!

All the big supermarkets are getting more of these things, and I've noticed that if you go in ASDA after (I think) 10pm there's no one on the tills, leaving me with no choice but to use these moody fuckin' machines that basically take the piss!

Yes, I'm almost 3 times the legal age to buy alcohol but I always seem to wait ages till a pissed off looking assistant comes over to allow me to buy. Then if you don't place your items correctly on the scales(bagging area) it won't let you proceed. And that's if it scans items properly. And I think you need a degree in how to buy fruit & veg, it's a fuckin' pisstake.

If you finally manage to get to press 'pay for items' without losing the plot it asks how many bags you want, so you have to piss about pressing more buttons wasting yet more time. And if you're paying by cash you have to put the note in a certain way or it spits it back at you!

I got so pissed off a couple of years ago I just left what I was trying to buy and fucked off out of the store. Went to Aldi instead where I can always be served on the tills by someone who is usually always pleasant and efficient.

Asda Tesco Sainsbury's and Morrisons are getting more self serve tills but their prices remain high yet they are cutting staff on the tills!
Waitrose in Wilmslow works a dream you fucking luddite, you can’t use groats anymore.

Waitrose in Wilmslow works a dream you fucking luddite, you can’t use groats anymore.
Oh yes you can.
Here in yerksheer tea bags are 100 for a groat, 54 pigs bladders a groat, ready made crow pie 15 groats. Not tõ be confused with 2 wives for one goat (worsleyweb discards, 25% off).

Much better.

don’t have to que for f*ckin ages whilst some granny decides to buy her months shopping in one hit and your standing there with a few items.

Don’t have to watch the service person fanny around, scanning and chucking the items in a small space for you to pack.

Don’t have to be polite, or talk, or smile.[/QUOTE]

Spoken like a true Londoner BH :)

When you go in tesco gorton and the 24 manned tills are populated by 3 staff some early afternoons yet the self service have a que od peoole with more than the originally intended 10 items.

If all 24 tills were manned @BlueHammer85 wouldn't have to worry about the grannys big shop ;-)

I think Aldi and Lidl probably have it kinda right, man a few tills and then ooen more when necessary no need for self sercive.

If you cannot be arsed get a home delivery

Vote with your feet and make it abundantly clear that them saving money and wages is not your priority and that you want customer service and the help of a till operator in buying and paying for your shopping.

I was in this morning and almost directed to a self service till by a member of staff and i stood at an empty till, politely refused and said no, you can serve me here thanks.

I'm not being awkward, i just refuse to stand doing what someone else who works there should be doing and i refuse to be stood there waiting for a member of staff to turn up and reset the self service till when it does its inevitable "sorry, computer says no" act.

We had that too, a few years back in Asda. We were waiting at the till, with four or five items on the conveyor belt, third in line - and the security guard (of all people) came over and said to use the self serve checkout. So, i politely refused and said we were fine, and then he says no, please go and use the self serve. It wasn't a request, at that point. i just smiled and said no, i was ok where i was. Pushy little twat had a face like Jamie Carragher after that lol

Was once accused of steeling when using the self serve, because i didn't put all items into a bag and opted to carry a multi pack of crisps rather than bag them - guy followed me out the store and said i'd not paid for all my items - needless to say i had and he got a roasting, i don't appreciate being called a thief or being accosted in the car-park.

i think human contact and sharing a smile (if you can) with a checkout person is important. As a society we're becoming too automated, it's good to share a hello and have a wee chat. I do understand that some people don't want to though, and for them the self serve's may be a preferred option....

As others have said, i've walked out a few times because the self serve is being a dick about some unexpected item or my degree in fruit and veg weighing isn't enough for me to complete the transaction lol, just leave the shopping - life is too short and i have a really big bug bear for machines that don't operate in the same way as i'd expect them too :) so, i just don't use them now.

Completely depends, its miles easier to use them if you're just grabbing your dinner and want to be in and out. But its easier to go to the one manned till if youve got age restricted items like booze, the only problem is you have to wait just as long because of the queue of old people but it saves holding up everyone else who just wants to be in and out on the self service.

I am with you, it used to infuriate me when the cashiers started chatting to each other and treated you as the invisible man.

I can now check I am being charged correctly with each item I scan, put them straight into the shopping bags and be out of the store in the shake of a lambs tail.
Don't you like to hear about their love/sex lives they share at volume with the next till?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.