Sent to PRISON for a bad tackle...

DTeacher

Team supported
The best team in the land and all the WORLD
Not sure if this has been posted in the past on here but a friend forwarded it to me via e-mail this evening (hence not sure which paper / source it is from). Anywaaaaaaay....whaddya reckon? Considering the current hot topics revolving around bad fouls etc...Any thoughts?

A footballer has become the first in the history of the British game to be sent to prison for a horror tackle on an opposition player. Mark Chapman's reckless challenge shattered father-of-two Terry Johnson's leg in two places and ended his chances of ever playing again. The 20-year-old Sunday league player was charged with grievous bodily harm, and today he began a six-month jail term after a judge accused him of meting out 'wanton violence'.

While footballers have been sent to prison before for punching opponents or stamping on them, the Football Association confirmed Chapman was the first to be locked up solely for a bad tackle.

His 26-year-old victim welcomed the unprecedented sentence. 'It's ruined my life, I will never be able to play football again,' he said. 'As far as I'm concerned he deserved what he got - what goes around comes around.'

The tackle came seconds before the final whistle in a Rugby and District Sunday league match in Warwickshire, a court heard. Chapman's team, Long Lawford, were losing 3-1 to opponents Wheeltappers, and Mr Johnson, playing left-back, was covering the ball as it went out of play. But to his horror, Chapman, a centre forward who had earlier been criticised by team-mates for a lack of effort, came sliding in with his studs raised and smashed his leg from behind.

'All I can really remember was stamping coming up behind me and I then I felt the pain in my leg straight away - it was like being hit by a train,' he said. 'I heard a snap and everyone thought it was two shinpads snapping, but it was my leg.'

Mr Johnson needed reconstructive surgery and had to have a steel rod inserted to hold the bone pieces together.
Surgeons have warned it will take another 18 months to repair the damage, and he will never play football again.

'I've also lost two-and-a-half inches of muscle on my calf, it looks like a twig now,' he added.

Since the tackle the electrician has been unable to work and struggled to support daughters Ruby, four, Eliza, three, or partner Lydia Adams, 24. Chapman - who had been disciplined a number of times for his behaviour on the pitch, although not for violent conduct - was sent off after the referee decided he had deliberately tried to injure his opponent.

Following last October's tackle he was charged with causing GBH, and after pleading guilty at Warwick Crown Court the judge rejected claims it had not been reckless. Lawrence Watts, defending, drew parallels with a Premiership game last Saturday in which Arsenal's Aaron Ramsey had his leg badly broken by a tackle by a Stoke City defender who is not facing criminal charges. But Judge Robert Orme rejected the suggestion and said it was a totally different situation.
'This is a deliberate act, a premeditated act,' he said. 'A football match gives no-one any excuse to carry out wanton violence.' He added that what he branded a 'quite crazy and mad challenge' had to be considered a 'very deliberate criminal act'. Chapman, of Long Lawford, was jailed for six months.

Last year Mark Ward, 23, was jailed for four months for common assault after he fractured Jonathan Carroll's ankle in a sliding tackle during a Sunday league game in Middlesbrough, but he had also insulted him and stamped on his leg afterwards. Also last year Darren Forwood, 21, was jailed for 28 months after admitting manslaughter of rival player Stephen Ritchie, 43, after killing him with a single punch during a bad-tempered amateur match in West London.

Sky Sports pundit Chris Kamara, then a Swindon Town player, was convicted of GBH in 1988 after he caught Shrewsbury Town's Jim Melrose with his elbow but was fined £1,200 and in 1995 former Scottish international Duncan Ferguson was jailed or three months for headbutting Raith Rovers' John McStay while playing for Rangers.

A spokesman for the Football Association said: 'It's the first time anyone has been sent to prison for a tackle.
'There have been two cases where people were sent to prison for other incidents on the pitch, but nothing like this.'

Deserved it, should have got longer.
That poor fucker is off work now, unable to earn, why should he suffer?
The convicted bloke should also be made to pay a substantial amount in damages.
If I was the victim I would take him to court when he comes out to get some compo.

Bilboblue said:
If I was the victim I would take him to court when he comes out to get some compo.

Fully understand where you are coming from, but to play 'Devil's Advocate' for a minute, what about setting a precedent?

Will we see others receive similar sentences and what about pro footballers etc?

DTeacher said:
Bilboblue said:

Fully understand where you are coming from, but to play 'Devil's Advocate' for a minute, what about setting a precedent?

Will we see others receive similar sentences and what about pro footballers etc?

Should be a similar punishment, no matter what walk of life you come from.
say a player deliberately went out to harm one of our players, broke his leg and was out injured for 6 months, why should we pay his wages because of someone elses recklessness?
There has to be accountability.

Surprised its not happened before. I gave up playing Sunday League with my mates in my mid twenties due to the numbnuts that usually play on a sunday. I was still playing eleven a side league football on a saturday and midweek until mid thirties.

Just because you are playing football should not make you immune from the law. A deliberate attempt to injure someone should incur punishment the same as if I walked up to a stranger in the supermarket & kicked the fk out of them.

Bilboblue said:
DTeacher said:

say a player deliberately went out to harm one of our players, broke his leg and was out injured for 6 months, why should we pay his wages because of someone elses recklessness?

pskilla (above) mentions Roy Keane and I definitely agree with that because it was clearly deliberate and he even admitted as much later! NO PRISON though.

Accountability? 100% agree but, again, who decides and how can we be sure of someone's INTENT? There was a huge furore over the Eduardo incident and others. There has been a thread on Shawcross where people have argued vehemently for and against....another thread on De Jong and, again, similar arguments batted back and forth.

Sunday League games up and down the country are played in an even more fiery manner than some Premiership etc games. There is an argument that some of the Championship fixtures yield more passion too.

Could this kind of sentence put some people off the game? Could some become so paranoid that they actually STOP playing?

I don't really have any answers myself and, as stated, am only playing Devil's aAdvocate.

Just throwing some questions out to Bluemooners.

Food for thought.

DTeacher said:
Bilboblue said:

pskilla (above) mentions Roy Keane and I definitely agree with that because it was clearly deliberate and he even admitted as much later! NO PRISON though.

Accountability? 100% agree but, again, who decides and how can we be sure of someone's INTENT? There was a huge furore over the Eduardo incident and others. There has been a thread on Shawcross where people have argued vehemently for and against....another thread on De Jong and, again, similar arguments batted back and forth.

Sunday League games up and down the country are played in an even more fiery manner than some Premiership etc games. There is an argument that some of the Championship fixtures yield more passion too.

Could this kind of sentence put some people off the game? Could some become so paranoid that they actually STOP playing?

I don't really have any answers myself and, as stated, am only playing Devil's aAdvocate.

Just throwing some questions out to Bluemooners.

Food for thought.

I guess it would have to be decided by a court of law, the same as if I was accused of injuring someone in some way in day to day life.

pskilla said:
Just because you are playing football should not make you immune from the law. A deliberate attempt to injure someone should incur punishment the same as if I walked up to a stranger in the supermarket & kicked the fk out of them.

I know what you are saying and my own personal take on it would be to agree with you.

A concern though, would be whether justice would be meted out fairly.

You infer on another post about leaving it to the courts but remember, it has to get to court first. Also, do you reckon you or I would get the same amount of 'fairness' from the judicial system as, say, Shawcross or De Jong etc? I fully ENDORSE your view that a deliberate attempt to injure someone should incur punishment, but WHO decides? What if it is the Referee? Do we trust them completely to always know? How many times do you hear folk state something along the lines of 'if he had played the game, he would have known that was deliberate/not deliberate...'

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.