#10 | Sergio Agüero - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looked like a fish out of water today. Absolutely nowhere near fully fit, was no threat to the West Ham defence, and didn't seem to 'fit' into the new system whatsoever.

As much as it pains me to say it, this isn't the time to let Sergio play himself back into fitness ... This City squad is on the verge of football immortality. If we are going to use him, Sergio should be on the bench and only come on for 20/30 minutes in games where we're in total control

I think that Kun would have looked better without so many other rusty players around him. I guess those players need minutes too and Bernado, Sterling etc. benefit from the rest but it was hard to watch him labouring so badly.

I still think Kun has a big contribution to make.

It was interesting early on, he played much deeper, often finding himself in midfield at times. He served as more of a link up player and a defence mover rather than a classical forward. Similar to what we've seen from Jesus and the false 9s this season. We're becoming increasingly less direct than ever, and I feel having a conventional forward sometimes doesn't suit a slow system like that. So we may have to get used to seeing Aguero in a way we're not used to seeing him.

Weirdly enough, I thought that's when he looked at his best. It reminded me of pre-car crash 17/18 Aguero when he peaked (in my opinion). I was very impressed for 20-25 minutes or so and it's promising to think how he'll improve with games. Plus he'll always be the sharpshooter he always was.

The concern today was mainly in the form of his pressing and defensive work. The way we play, everyone and everything really needs to operate as a unit rather than a collection of individuals. He wasn't bad per se, but it's important to not be below a certain level. I will say I don't think he benefited with the teammates he had on this front. Other players pressed and covered fairly well (although not Bernardo, Foden, Jesus levels) but a larger issue was that we kept giving the ball away, so it meant he had to do more defensive work than he would have done in other games, which made the problem LOOK worse. He's only just come back so I'll give him time before I cast judgement on him, but he will need to work towards improving on this front (which there's no reason why he can't).

My favourite thing about Aguero has been that whenever he's looked like he's not a starter anymore, he works harder than ever, improves in some fashion, and gets back into the team on merit. If the trend continues he could have a great close to the season.

Made all the runs you would want him too.
What more can he do?
Not his fault if the team don't play him in. He plays exactly where you would want your striker to play.
Running around chasing is overrated. As is coming deep to receive the ball as if it doesn't stick as from the throw today you are you in trouble.
Maybe if the wingers could actually use their other foot or play on the correct side you would see the best of him.
Anyway great to see him back, we'll need him.

Running around chasing the ball like a dickhead is overrated. But pressing intelligently is underrated. Ask Pep if he thinks pressing is overrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.