#10 | Sergio Agüero - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many other players (or managers) do you hear apologising for a stupid decision? If Aguero can’t be excused after all he’s done for us, nobody can.

A few more apologies for yesterday wouldn’t go amiss.

Won't matter if Villa win today,that's for sure,but I don't think Newcastle will be too scared now they are safe and demolishing Leicester the other night,would have sooner it sorted yesterday,and as I say at 2-0 I think we would have won the match.

People just want it done and dusted,hence the understandable frustration.It will soon be forgotten though,i'm very confident.

Penalty not his finest hour. But these things happen (ie missing penalties). But he’s been brilliant for us. If we were going to have it in for anyone who misses a penalty with this current sides efforts from the spot there would be no one to like !
It wasn't the miss that pissed me off, it was the attempt

How many other players (or managers) do you hear apologising for a stupid decision? If Aguero can’t be excused after all he’s done for us, nobody can.

A few more apologies for yesterday wouldn’t go amiss.
Mendy should retweet the same apology every time he plays!

Look, I've been sleeping on this, so as not to give the knee-jerk abusive reaction that is too often the reflex right after a game that's really annoyed you.
What Sergio did was stupid, but more important, it was incomprehensible. Let's be clear — in the grand scheme of things, we will be champions. And we're still on for a treble that's never been done (i.e. League Cup, PL, CL). We may or may not win in Istanbul, but let's not for God's sake even think that it was because Sergio Aguero took a penalty and missed it.
No, here's the thing. What he tried to do yesterday just wasn't him! Right from the off, when he arrived in 2011, I was incredibly impressed by what I call Sergio's trademark goal. He drags the ball wide of the right post (he doesn't dribble his marker, he just puts on a burst of speed that takes him clear), and he angles the ball right across the keeper into the very corner of the net, on the left. More rarely — but he can do it — he drags the ball to the left, and does exactly the same thing across to the right. There's no point in the keeper diving for it. It's not just a yard or so to the left or right of him. It is right in the bottom left or right hand corner. No keeper can get that ball. Often, he has scored penalties like this, too. He's missed a few, but he's hit far more than he's missed. He is your classic striker who doesn't overthink it, who relies on his instincts. The goal against QPR is a case in point, although in that case he didn't take it across the keeper, he just aimed at a very small space and his power did the rest. One second, one chance. Bang!

I don't remember him ever resorting to a Panenka for a penalty. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I have no memory of it. Suddenly, right at the end of his time with us, he decides to do it. Why? The thing about it is that if it comes off, it makes you look cool. If it doesn't, you look like a dickhead. But Sergio has never cared about how he looks. His goal celebrations are relatively restrained. He's a modest guy. He's just happy to have helped the team and done his job. He just doesn't have that temperament. He has always been the opposite of, say, Mario (and this is not getting at Mario, it's just a question of temperament, and your sense of yourself in front of the world). Or Ibramovic. Chalk and cheese.
A year out is a long, long time. I'm sorry to say this, but I believe that Sergio is a man who no longer quite trusts himself, trusts his instincts. He did — brilliantly — against Palace. He had no time to think, he just did what he's always done. Trademark goal. But yesterday he behaved like a man who had overthought it, not relied on what he does best, and above all, he behaved like a man who has something to prove. Sergio, you have nothing to prove to anybody. But it is no good telling a man that if it's not there in his head.
Missed penalties or not, he is the greatest striker this club's ever seen. But if he doesn't trust himself, then the club doesn't trust him. And the manager doesn't trust him. In part, his time with us is up because of that.
Sergio, it's been great. Long after what happened yesterday is forgotten (I've already almost forgotten it) we'll remember you for those astonishing goals. And not a few amazing assists, which aren't talked about enough. The other day, for the umpteenth time, I watched the Norwich game away in April 2011. The 1-6. His goal from the Tevez backheel is a thing for the ages. But for the last goal, Sergio put in a raking pass right across and behind the Norwich defence, which went over to Clichy, who put it back for Johnson to score. No word of a lie, that assist is up there with the very best I've seen Kevin produce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.