Sergio Agüero | Manchester City's All Time Top Goalscorer

His goals are beyond dispute, but for this current City team to move forward to the next level, he can't be the main man anymore.

He likes being the No.1, that's what he has come to expect for his seven years here, but it can no longer be the case.

I doubt he would accept being a squad player but Jesus, while not being as prolific, makes the entire team greater than the sum of its parts on every level, in terms of knowing when and where to press, which makes the entire forward line absolutely more potent in terms of the chances it is able to create, and suffocating teams even more.

Sergio has attempted to adapt but it's clear he doesn't have the intelligence to do what Pep clearly wants, which is no slight on him, but makes me very excited at how incredible Jesus is already, in terms of his tactical maturity and selflessness for someone so young.

Guardiola's mantra is about the collective and Sergio's game has to be about greed,like all predatory forwards, as when he's not scoring, he's not offering enough anywhere else.

Understandably, most would scoff when I would argue that Sergio wasn't even that great against Leicester despite scoring "only" four goals.
An uncomfortable truth for many - but the truth nontheless. Still got a few months in him as first choice though - maybe another season. I really don't see Jesus as his long term replacement though. Sure he'll prove me wrong.

His goals are beyond dispute, but for this current City team to move forward to the next level, he can't be the main man anymore.

He likes being the No.1, that's what he has come to expect for his seven years here, but it can no longer be the case.

I doubt he would accept being a squad player but Jesus, while not being as prolific, makes the entire team greater than the sum of its parts on every level, in terms of knowing when and where to press, which makes the entire forward line absolutely more potent in terms of the chances it is able to create, and suffocating teams even more.

Sergio has attempted to adapt but it's clear he doesn't have the intelligence to do what Pep clearly wants, which is no slight on him, but makes me very excited at how incredible Jesus is already, in terms of his tactical maturity and selflessness for someone so young.

Guardiola's mantra is about the collective and Sergio's game has to be about greed,like all predatory forwards, as when he's not scoring, he's not offering enough anywhere else.

Understandably, most would scoff when I would argue that Sergio wasn't even that great against Leicester despite scoring "only" four goals.
Interesting comments. For me Serg is the one player who has not really improved under Pep. I don't feel anyone can coach him on how to score goals, that is just a natural talent to him. I would like to see Serg and Eddy struggle to recognise each other on the street, they should smile sweetly knowing they work in the same location but not really knowing what each other does they play so far apart. Pep preferes Serg to defend corners and contribute more to the build up of goals. I wouldn't have him in our half at anytime other than to stay onside. A player of his quality stood on the halfway line when defending corners means the opposition have to drop two defenders back to mark him. Like you say against teams like Leicester he can do pretty much nothing all game apart from put the ball in the net four times. I feel with the depth of squad we have we can afford a luxury player but I think Pep prefers a work horse and we will see him gone at the end of the season

An uncomfortable truth for many - but the truth nontheless. Still got a few months in him as first choice though - maybe another season. I really don't see Jesus as his long term replacement though. Sure he'll prove me wrong.

Well at least I can debate that, rather than his undisputed place as a club legend in every respect.

There is an emotional attachment (See Hart and Yaya) which makes it impossible for so many people not to differentiate between the personality and the player.

Sergio will score goals wherever he plays, but the premise of the team Pep is building is for the entire forward line to make teams play in the areas of the pitch we want them to.

I hope you are wrong on Jesus because everything he has shown so far makes me think if we get another player with similar attributes to him, then we are set for the next five or six years.

Sergio wouldn't play second fiddle to anybody anywhere else, but this Pep team is something else.

Well at least I can debate that, rather than his undisputed place as a club legend in every respect.

There is an emotional attachment (See Hart and Yaya) which makes it impossible for so many people not to differentiate between the personality and the player.

Sergio will score goals wherever he plays, but the premise of the team Pep is building is for the entire forward line to make teams play in the areas of the pitch we want them to.

I hope you are wrong on Jesus because everything he has shown so far makes me think if we get another player with similar attributes to him, then we are set for the next five or six years.

Sergio wouldn't play second fiddle to anybody anywhere else, but this Pep team is something else.
Until recently I thought it was just me and my negative pessimism, but others I've met outside of these hallowed halls are not sure he's the long term answer either. Sure he's a precocious talent with all the tricks - just not the single minded direct finisher that Aguero is and I know he's young but I'm not sure what he is or will become yet.
As I say - bound to be exactly what we want and develop brilliantly under Pep.

Agree with every word.

Wonderful player and we are lucky to have had him for so long. I think/hope we'll get a couple more years out of him before he leaves. I still feel a lot more confident seeing his name on the team sheet than Jesus's.

Jesus is young and has time on his side but right now Aguero is the better player.

At least you get it. You could have just said we’re a better team with Jesus playing. Jesus team work comes natural to him, Sergio tries but he’s not as good at leading the line. Sergios goal record is phenomal and has been ever since he’s signed, this isn’t a criticism. We’ve just got another striker that suits our play more, which is unfortunate for Sergio.

Wonderful player and we are lucky to have had him for so long. I think/hope we'll get a couple more years out of him before he leaves. I still feel a lot more confident seeing his name on the team sheet than Jesus's.

Jesus is young and has time on his side but right now Aguero is the better player.

I don't think Jesus is in the same league as Aguero. Time will tell.

Until recently I thought it was just me and my negative pessimism, but others I've met outside of these hallowed halls are not sure he's the long term answer either. Sure he's a precocious talent with all the tricks - just not the single minded direct finisher that Aguero is and I know he's young but I'm not sure what he is or will become yet.
As I say - bound to be exactly what we want and develop brilliantly under Pep.

I really don't see the tricks, though?

I genuinely thought that was what we would be getting, but he's not your traditional typical Brazilian.

He clearly has it in his locker but he seems to be much more of team player, rather than an individual?

The injuries have been most unwelcome in terms of allowing him to get even more game time, but I've spent quite a bit of time just watching him in games, and it's incredible the amount of times he chooses the right option for someone so young.

He's able to give and go and still attack the penalty area, his link-up play and runs across the front post and hanging out are something else.

Jesus is a very smart kid and under Pep, I think he knows he can become one of the best in the world. He even closes down sideways on, and knows which lanes to cut off.

I'm not even sure if Pep wants the team to have a striking focal point, and needs it to be interchangeable and much more fluid, just as it was at Barca, less so, with his Bayern set-up?

Sane is a guy who frustrates the life out of me but it's very apparent that we aren't the same team when he's out, in terms of him keeping the pitch as wide as possible and creating that space inside for some of our midfielders.

In terms of Sergio, he thinks he is doing all the right things by running himself into the ground and chasing into the corners, but it's what impact it has in transition when we get the ball back, he's in the areas that don't pose any real danger and we have nobody inside the penalty area.

As a result, he tries to impose himself by strength and bulldozing his way through, or to the detriment of keeping his head down and ignoring the obvious pass.

Which just goes to underline what a special 'goalscorer' Kun is, in spite of his shortcomings.

Last edited:
I really don't see the tricks, though?

I genuinely thought that was what we would be getting, but he's not your traditional typical Brazilian.

He clearly has it in his locker but he seems to be much more of team player, rather than an individual?

The injuries have been most unwelcome in terms of allowing him to get even more game time, but I've spent quite a bit of time just watching him in games, and it's incredible the amount of times he chooses the right option for someone so young.

He's able to give and go and still attack the penalty area, his link-up play and runs across the front post and hanging out are something else.

Jesus is a very smart kid and under Pep, I think he knows he can become one of the best in the world. He even closes down sideways on, and knows which lanes to cut off.

I'm not even sure if Pep wants the team to have a striking focal point, and needs is to be interchangeable and much more fluid, just as it was at Barca, less so, with his Bayern set-up?

Sane is a guy who frustrates the life out of me but it's very apparent that we aren't the same team when he's out, in terms of him keeping the pitch as wide as possible and creating that space inside for some of our midfielders.

In terms of Sergio, he thinks he is doing all the right things by running himself into the ground and chasing into the corners, but it's what impact it has in transition when we get the ball back, he's in the areas that don't pose any real danger and we have nobody inside the penalty area.

As a result, he tries to impose himself by strength and bulldozing his way through, or to the detriment of keeping his head down and ignoring the obvious pass.

Which just goes to underline what a special 'goalscorer' Kun is, in spite of his shortcomings.

I just think Jesus has not even begun to get going yet. That's why we've not seen the tricks or skills, and that's why he's been pretty conservative in his attacking play.

His longest run of starts for us has been 6 games, at the beginning of the seasons and he scored 5 goals and looked great. After that it was all very much him and Sergio rotating until the injury.

When he really establishes himself, gets a bit more confident and is playing every week, alongside Aguero or instead of him, I think we'll see a different beast all together.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.