Sergio Aguero - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He scores his chance(s) vs Chelsea,Spurs,L'pool + Monaco,and we're higher up the league and in the CL QFs,irrespective of bad refereeing,tactical or defensive errors or other factors..Pep's already alluded to this many a times + 'We attack well,we defend well'.He's not the only culprit but he does carry the major burden and pressure of scoring goals for us as the CF,like at all the major clubs.
More worryingly is that the majority of his 25 goals this season have been against 'weak' teams,stat padding,no?
When fit,G.Jesus,at 19,will be in the XI whether with or without him and on merit,not reputation,
he must be doing sth right then.
Arguably,Aguero is still our 'main man'.
Sentiments aside,I,Pep,many of us fans want to win matches + trophies,with or without the 'main man'.

i feel he has so much more to give if he can find a proper place in this system.
It seems like he's a bit out on a limb, not exactly the target man anymore, he's goes missing as our attack doesn't involve him that much until the end, all out wing and that, not direct enough like he's used too. He's basically just has to goal hang nowadays and dink it in. Maybe the system is just playing to the teams current strengths and next season we will have a stronger midfield and defence to be able to be more direct. i dunno, Sergio's great anyway.

25 goals in 35 games isn't bad going even if they are against "weaker" teams. It has to be said that many of his goals against such teams have still been crucial, and he did score against Liverpool and he got 2 in a (2 goal) victory over Monaco (or are they a weak team?). He couldn't score against the rags or Gooners because the FA made sure he couldn't play! It may be that this is not his best season but it would be lunacy to get rid of a player who gets 25 in 35 in a poor season! Especially when players who can score at such a rate in a good season are rare in the extreme. Jesus looks a fantastic prospect, but let's just see how he comes back from injury, how he performs over a season- and see how he plays with Sergio!

So much reflexive defending of our players right now. I'm proud of the lot but trying to use stats to deceive what our eyes can see is an abuse of statistics. Sergio is not finishing. It's reasonable to think that he maybe has lost that top form and it's reasonable to to think that he's just in a bad spell and can return to finishing at a moment's notice. We've all seen plenty of each case.

I will say that his hold up / link up is not at the standard we need it to be regardless of what he's doing in front of goal. We can't play anything to feet to him through the middle and we clearly can't play high balls to him either. We're playing the wings a lot because they're playing very well, but part of the reason why we looked so strong with Jesus was because he was able to use that space in the middle of the pitch better than Aguero was in the brief time he was in there. Sergio is working much, much harder and I won't fault him for a host of things but his touch and pace are letting him down right now and it's having a real impact not just on our scoring but also on the players who are trying to move the ball up the pitch. There were 2 or 3 matches there where he was finding pockets and bringing teammates into play but he's struggling again to influence play as we try to get out of our own end.

He's been an incredible striker and I'm willing to give him a lot of rope. But this is a strange thread to read right now because the sentiment seems to be overriding what's actually occurring on the pitch. Far worse players than he is have come good after some rough patches but I think it is only fair to acknowledge that this patch is quite rough right now when judged on the elite player scale he occupies.

He is losing his edge and ability to make goals out of nothing which for me has a lot to do with his immense amount of injuries taking away his quick burst of pace across the first few yards.

A lot of his goals now are near post finishes from De Bruyne, Sane or Sterling crosses. That is great in its own right and with Sergio's quality along with the quality of his team mates he will always score plenty, however you can't expect to win big titles solely from those goals because if those attacking players are having a bad game you are rendered a little useless.

I love Sergio but even if he sticks around next season I can't help but feel he won't be first choice.

One thing I did notice when Gabriel came in was the increase in fluidity up front. His link-up play seems to suit what Guardiola wants better than Sergio's, although in recent weeks I do think Sergio has improved that part of his game.

Not going to quote them but great posts @teddykgb & @cadds92.

There are 2 issues here. The first is that he's just not the player he was in 2011/2. When have we seen anything from him like that second, long range screamer he scored against Swansea on his debut. He's not as clinical as he was, he's not as quick as he was and he doesn't seem to have the confidence he had. However much people defend him and his record, these are facts that simply cannot be denied.

The second issue is that that renders him much less of a Pep type of player. He wants forwards like Sterling, Sane, Jesus who are more versatile in terms of positioning and what they can do. They can beat a man, play wide or more central and can create chances for others or themselves.

It's the combination of the two that suggests that Sergio will be sold and replaced by someone like Sanchez or Aubameyang, who appear to be much more the type of player Pep wants.

I'll defend him because I believe he's one of the best in the business and we're lucky to have him. Missing chances is something that all forwards go through, most of them don't still rack up the numbers Sergio does.
As for being a different player to the he was 5 years ago? Sure he's not, he's potentially going to be better all round once Pep has finished with him.
As for this sentiment bullshit that tends to rear its head when talking about the likes of Sergio, let's just put it to one side for once eh and acknowledge that some people still rate him for the player he is and not what he's done.

I agree with PB.

Pep will want a player who has more flexibility in terms of their role,a player that has brilliant mobility and speed and also one that adds,rather than negates,fluidity within the team.

Aguero doesnt fit that bill.

I look forward to him proving many wrong. Wouldn't be the first time one of our players has done that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.