Sergio v Bergkamp

oakiecokie

Bloody hell Talkshit giving Sergio some credit :

A couple of City's strikers have cornered the market in publicity for one reason or another of late, but Sergio Aguero's excellent form rightly earns plenty of praise today.

Credit to TalkSport for their comparison of Kun to the great Dennis Bergkamp in his prime, and they flag up the fact that the Argentinean has found his feet in English football straight away - no mean feat in itself.

They chalk up a 2-1 win to Kun, with Bergkamp better on assists but our guy winning out on goals and overall involvement:

"Aguero has been involved in 20 league goals so far, either scoring or assisting, in 24 games this season. That's more than Bergkamp managed in his first season and the Invincibles' season, even though Aguero's played fewer games.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
ah Bergkamp was a special player.

I think they're different players anyway.

Taking nothing away from Sergio, it's a bizarre comparison to make. Aguero has a long way to go before being compared to Bergkamp, I'm sure he will be mentioned in the same breath but keep that for the latter stages of his career not when he's 23. At this point, I'd only expect him to be compared to players of a similar style, of which in England there have been few.

Bergkamp was a special player indeed, one I believe Arsenal have found far harder to replace than Henry. Clearly since he left Arsenal have plenty of other problems but they just don't have a player with the same understanding of the game.

bergkamp failed heavily here in italy. frankly can't see aguero potentially fail anywhere becouse he is a class better than bergkamp , at least as personality.

I can't believe Sergio is just 23. At that age, Bergkamp had left a successful stint with Ajax and struggled at Inter. Oddly enough, Arsenal have had incredible luck with players not succeeding in Ital.

Mancio said:
bergkamp failed heavily here in italy. frankly can't see aguero potentially fail anywhere becouse he is a class better than bergkamp , at least as personality.

Aguero hasn't set the world alight to be fair, he's been a very good striker in Spain, but he's only just becoming a truly special player.

Some people may argue Crespo didn't have the best times here(still had a decent record), but I still hold him as one of the greatest strikers in the last generation and genuinely world class, it's all down to opinion.

I see Sergio as more similar to a Van Nistelrooy or a young Owen than I do a Bergkamp, if you merge the two you get more an Henry, but I still think that when you try and compare two great strikers you'll end up doing one an unfair disservice.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
Mancio said:

Aguero hasn't set the world alight to be fair, he's been a very good striker in Spain, but he's only just becoming a truly special player.

Some people may argue Crespo didn't have the best times here(still had a decent record), but I still hold him as one of the greatest strikers in the last generation and genuinely world class, it's all down to opinion.

I see Sergio as more similar to a Van Nistelrooy or a young Owen than I do a Bergkamp, if you merge the two you get more an Henry, but I still think that when you try and compare two great strikers you'll end up doing one an unfair disservice.

agreed. they are two different players. still stand on my point : aguero is in an higher class

Mancio said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:
Mancio said:

agreed. they are two different players. still stand on my point : aguero is in an higher class

as a natural goalscorer? yeah, as a talent? hmmm...

Bergkamp only scored regularly in Dutch football

He was a creative player who played behind the forward in the hole.

Aguero is a striker and a creator. Aguero is the more valuable player. I think there are only two more valuable players in the game today, and we all know who they are

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.