Sergio's Offside, factually definitive or interpretive ?

trublue55

Can someone please answer with certainty, before this gets merged?

Although Sergio was in an "offside position", when Eriksen played it back, he was not, and could not be offside, as an opponent played the ball. Given the ball deflected off of Bernardo (he did not play it), and Sergio was (probably) still marginally in an offside position, does the fact it touched Bernardo make him offside ?

With regards to Sergio's final position, am i right in thinking VAR did not show the moment, with the lines superimposed, and just ruled offside?

From the laws of the game ...

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
  • interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
  • interfering with an opponent by:
  • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
  • challenging an opponent for the ball or
  • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
  • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball

*The first point of contact of the 'play' or 'touch' of the ball should be used

or
  • gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has:
  • rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar or an opponent
  • been deliberately saved by any opponent
  • A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save by any opponent) is not considered to have gained an advantage.

So from an attacking point of view it only has to be touched by a team mate - whilst a defender has to deliberately play the ball in order to negate the attacker being in an offside position.

So sadly, Sergio was offside. at least from the one camera angle I've seen.

From the laws of the game ...

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
  • interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
  • interfering with an opponent by:
  • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
  • challenging an opponent for the ball or
  • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
  • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball

*The first point of contact of the 'play' or 'touch' of the ball should be used

or
  • gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has:
  • rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar or an opponent
  • been deliberately saved by any opponent
  • A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save by any opponent) is not considered to have gained an advantage.

So from an attacking point of view it only has to be touched by a team mate - whilst a defender has to deliberately play the ball in order to negate the attacker being in an offside position.

So sadly, Sergio was offside. at least from the one camera angle I've seen.

From last night, I think we've all learned that one camera angle is sufficient to draw conclusions in the Champions League. ;-)

It was offside but it's definitely a hard one to take as it was in the most marginal and unfortunate of circumstances.

The one aspect I find most open to interpretation however is was it "clear and obvious". Should VAR have even been used in the first place?
Clear and obvious and offsides, unfortunately, as no-one in stadium thought it was offside at the time.

The offside rule as it stands is in my opinion stupid in that, in theory, your big toe could be offside which is going to happen the more VAR is used. Football is fast moving and not a game that suits fine margins. The goal line technology is brilliant as it deals with a clear undisputed fact. To me the offside rule should be simple. If there is a gap between the torsos of the attacker and defender then it is offside. Simple.

It was offside but it's definitely a hard one to take as it was in the most marginal and unfortunate of circumstances.

The one aspect I find most open to interpretation however is was it "clear and obvious". Should VAR have even been used in the first place?

The nonsense about 'clear and obvious' has died the death. The phrase may well have been dreamt up to accommodate a particular incident or to shut up a reporter asking a question, who knows. But the fact that the lino didn't flag would suggest that the offside was not clear and it wasn't obvious. Uefa continue to tangle themselves in an interpretative mire that will lead to the game ceasing to have any spectator value! We might as well play the game as we have in the years past, finish with a 5-3 win and then let the papers report the following morning that VAR indicates that it was only a 4-3 win. The latter is clearly farcical but no more of a farce that what obtains as the game proceeds.

For a leg to be in front of an opponent and then be classed as offside is stupid and almost impossible for a linesman to judge in a split second.

In my opinion, it would be far simpler for everyone, fans and officials, if offside meant the whole man is ahead of the second last defender.

But of course UEFA and fifa dont want clear and straightforward laws because that means it wouldn't be as easy to manipulate the rules to suit your agenda.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.