Set Pieces

Paulmcfc2703 said:
Mike N said:
Petrov's delivery will make us more likely to get a goal from a corner. Stat in the Times on Sunday, 162 corners this year and 1 goal.
Dunnes v Pompey and what a goal it was!

It just amazes me that years ago when we got a corner you really thought we would score. We need to get 10 or more in a game for that to be the case.

danburge82 said:
Is it Hughes? Look at his Blackburn team they scored frequently from corners!

Did you just make that up? I've got a few Blackburn supporting mates and they all say they were rubbish at corners.

danburge82 said:

If you look back over the last few years we have been pathetic at corners!
I think the only ones we've scored in the last 3 seasons were the Richards one at Villa in the Cup and Dunne's one at home v Boro a few years ago and i think that is it - that is strange!??! How can a team be so poor at corners!?

This is where im not sure Hughes is to blame! Have you ever managed a team of people in a working environment, taught people or coached or managed a sports team? Luckily in my life i have done all! ... and have you ever had that team do the complete opposite to what you've asked or not even listen to what you've said or worked on with them? unfortunately i have had that in my life as well! From my experiences it is usually because the team are not good enough! - is it the same at City!?

An interesting point, this.

If you can see Hughes' face during a game(except when we've just scored) his expression constantly shows unbelieving frustration, as if the action on the pitch is the opposite of what he planned. I've often suspected that players follow his plan to the letter in training, but then go out and do as they please on match day!

The OP is right imo, but what concerns me the most is our helplessness defending from set-pieces, leaving holes everywhere and all watching the ball, ignoring the opposition. It's schoolboy stuff.

I can't believe that staff with the experience of Hughes and co. cannot see what is so blindingly obvious, so perhaps what we have is more than our fair share of stupid players, but at one end or the other, we lose a lot of goals from set-pieces.

Drives me barmy.

Goater666 said:
danburge82 said:

Did you just make that up? I've got a few Blackburn supporting mates and they all say they were rubbish at corners.
I know they scored from one past us at Ewood park last season, but that's probably down to the fact that we can't/couldn't defend from set pieces.

3 vital aspects of a corner;

- Delivery

- Winning the Header

- Controlling the Header

From what I have seen we rarely have a good delivery, maybe 1/3. Then when we do we rarely win the first header maybe 1/5 then when we win the header it is rarely a bullet maybe 1/5 and then there is a 1/2 the keeper will save it. All those odds when considering together amount to 1/150 we'll score from a corner which ties in nicely with our 1 goal from 163 corners this season. My figures are probably bullshit but you get the idea, there are a number of variables in a corner and we're shit at all of them.

Iv'e worked out our signals for corners so the opostion will have no problem;

left arm in the air = hit the 1st man
right arm in the air = hit the 1st man
both arms in the air = hit the 1st man
bounce the ball once = hit the 1st man

and so on

it's all about delivery ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.