Shaun Wright-Phillips retires from football

My lad loved SWP every City shirt had SWP on the back and my lads first game was a 3-3 against wolves when SWP scored to make it 3-3 very near the end and we watch him run to the corner we were in to celebrate my lad loved it

I took my dad to that game and we had to leave with a minute to go to get our taxi back to the airport to fly back to the Isle of Man....... as we left the stadium the roar told us we should have stayed an extra minute! :-(

For those asking where he's been the last few years, after he left new york redbulls a few years ago he was playing in arizona or one of those forgettable places in the US in the lower American divisions I think. There was a poster on here that mentioned it in the general football thread.

Was at the New Den when he scored his first goal for us and celebrated in front of the empty stand, as away fans were banned from both games that season.

I can still hear the sound of that net rippling, and the monkey grunts from the neanderthal Millwall fans.
I was there too. Great game, won 3-2 Huckerby scored as well.

I was gutted when he didn't make the bench for the Cup Final in 2011. Although he hadn't played that much in the league that year he played a lot of cup games (including the semi), and I felt Mancini could have squeezed him in for old time's sake.

I wish him and our ex players could get a pundit gig,we need players on our side more than ever

swp29: “I was trying to hold on to [my career] for as long as possible. But over the last few weeks, I've decided it is time to be official. I was doing stuff with Manchester City and little stuff with TV - and it helped me glide out of it...”

swp29 on Manchester City: “I just want to acknowledge how much they [City fans] mean to me. I just hope that, in the 10 years of playing for this club, I’ve shown my appreciation back...”

”It’s harder for me to give it back, I wouldn’t know how to but 10 years I’ve been lucky enough to play in front of them. For me, the biggest pull has been the fans. They didn’t even turn their back on me when I left for Chelsea...”

“The way I look at it is they always give good support and they always support the team with all their heart...” [via @ManCity]

I was gutted when he didn't make the bench for the Cup Final in 2011. Although he hadn't played that much in the league that year he played a lot of cup games (including the semi), and I felt Mancini could have squeezed him in for old time's sake.
Agree with the sentiment, and he had played part of the semi. Its a shame his only honour with us was the promotion championship under keegan where he played as a wing back in a 3-5-2 . For whatever reason it didnt really work for Shaun or Ireland with us under Mancini.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.