Sheikh mansour

MihaiCity

City's summer spending shows no sign of slowing down as Sheikh Mansour rakes in over £2billion from sale of Barclays stake

By Adam Crafton

PUBLISHED: 14:44 GMT, 19 July 2013 | UPDATED: 14:50 GMT, 19 July 2013

With Manchester City's summer spending approaching the £100million mark after sealing the signings of striking duo Alvaro Negredo and Stevan Jovetic this week, rival fans may have hoped to have seen the end of City's exploits in the transfer market.

But in news to strike fear into title challengers Manchester United and Chelsea, City's megabucks owner Sheikh Mansour has just become even richer - after selling his 7% stake in Barclays at an astonishing 60% premium on the £3.5billion that he invested into the company in 2008.

With Barclays' shares rocketing by 60% in the last five years, the figures suggest that the City owner may have raked in an extraordinary £2.1billion in profit from the sale.

Rich get richer: Manchester City owner Sheikh Mansour has sold his stake in Barclays

Last year, Mansour's incredible financial muscle was underlined by his number one ranking in the Four Four Two Football Rich List, with his wealth estimated at £20billion while the Sheikh's assets are thought to be worth close to £400billion.

Since taking over at City in 2008, he has spent over £1billion in his bid to catapult the Manchester club towards the top table of world football, with the Premier League title in 2012 the most tangible reward for his outlay so far.

City's spending in the transfer market has been more restricted in the last twelve months, as the club seek to comply with UEFA's Financial Fair Play regulations.

Summer spending: Fernandinho (left) and Alvaro Negredo (right) are two of Manchester City's newest recruits

Nonetheless, a disappointing campaign last season has seen City reemerge as English football's biggest spenders, with Jesus Navas, Fernandinho, Stevan Jovetic and Alvaro Negredo all joining new manager Manuel Pellegrini as the club's summer rebuilding project gathers pace.

Sportsmail understands that Pellegrini - who replaced Mancini at the end of last season following a meek defence of the Premier League title and defeat in the FA Cup Final - would like to add a centre-half of the highest quality to his ranks ahead of the new season, with a £20million move for Real Madrid defender Pepe currently under consideration.

Read more: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2370351/Manchester-City-owner-Sheikh-Mansour-makes-profit-Barclays-stake.html#ixzz2ZWkg2ckA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z2ZWkg2ckA</a>
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

So at the click of a button, he has made back ALL the money spent at City to date, including the new campus as well as making an extra £1bn in the process?

Why oh why oh why oh why do we have such an incompetent owner?

There's no way they can estimate his wealth...no one but them have any clue whatsoever.

bluemike said:
Why Always Ste said:
Crazy money... he's already made back what he's put into City.

Show's it's pocket change to him.
Yeah, but what about when he gets bored? Etc etc etc

I can't see it.

Call me blinkered but I just feel there's a reason they (ADUG) choose Manchester and I feel the climate (lots of water) plays a factor in this decision.

Why Always Ste said:
bluemike said:
Why Always Ste said:
Crazy money... he's already made back what he's put into City.

Show's it's pocket change to him.
Yeah, but what about when he gets bored? Etc etc etc

I can't see it.

Call me blinkered but I just feel there's a reason they (ADUG) choose Manchester and I feel the climate (lots of water) plays a factor in this decision.

Of course there is a reason why they choose Manchester and it has heck all with water.

It's the rivalry with one of the most popular clubs on the world that got City/ADUG/Etihad etc.. so much free media coverage it's untrue.

No other club they could eventually choose could come close to that. It was one o the most brilliant business decisions ever. At least in sports/football.

Prestwich_Blue said:
Salford_Blue said:
So at the click of a button, he has made back ALL the money spent at City to date, including the new campus as well as making an extra £1bn in the process?

Why oh why oh why oh why do we have such an incompetent owner?
Pah! Peter Swales once rented out 50 tellys in one week.
Ha ha brilliant

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.