Shepherds Pie

You have never encountered a proper Lancashire hotpot if you believe that to be the case The crust is the defining feature.

It has no crust, it has a potato topping

but some do add an additional shortcrust or suet topping, when that happens it is refered to as a hot pot pie or hot pot cobbler.

In the 20 odd years I have been a chef I have made all of them along with many other pies, flans and puddings.

It is like hash, many have their own unique recipes and it can be different from household to household all over the region(s).

It has no crust, it has a potato topping
but some do add an additional shortcrust or suet topping, when that happens it is refered to as a hot pot pie or hot pot cobbler.
In the 20 odd years I have been a chef I have made all of them along with many other pies, flans and puddings.
It is like hash, many have their own unique recipes and it can be different from household to household all over the region(s).
If you are a chef you should recognise the partaking of pithivier then ;)
I would gently remind you of your own definition tho'
To just clarify, a pie is a dish baked with a crust on top. That crust can be any form of pastry, potato, Crumbs, suet etc, as long as it can crust and top the filling.

Last edited:
You have never encountered a proper Lancashire hotpot if you believe that to be the case. The crust is the defining feature - a different order of crunchieness to those of the shepherd and cottage variety.
More significantly hot pot doesn't claim to be a pie unlike the abomination that is shepherds 'pie'.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.