Shirley Williams RIP

She was miles better than any of the politicians who around at the moment RIP

I did some work during an election once and she came to a speaking engagement at the constituency. When it was done the candidate asked me if I could take his car and give her a lift to her next engagement. Spent about an hour talking about politics and other things on the way, she was lovely and totally unpretentious (unlike many of the other politicians I met during that time). RIP.

I did some work during an election once and she came to a speaking engagement at the constituency. When it was done the candidate asked me if I could take his car and give her a lift to her next engagement. Spent about an hour talking about politics and other things on the way, she was lovely and totally unpretentious (unlike many of the other politicians I met during that time). RIP.
Compare Shirley to crooks like Hancock and Cameron.

Back in the 70s & 80s, my uncle worked alongside various politicians on different projects, and the one he was most impressed with was Shirley Williams ... she made a huge impression on him and he came to almost idolise her ... he thought she was a wonderful person.

Sad to hear, I liked her a lot, one of the very few politicians I actually thought were there for the right reasons and not just as a career or a career stepping stone.

R.I.P Shirley, I'd always have you on my side.

The junking of the Alliance in favour of a full merger of liberals and social democrats was a serious mistake but Williams was a prime mover in this. It removed both the possibilities of a social democratic party and a liberal party. We are back to two party politics now, in England.
I was never able to work out where she stood politically. Started off as traditional centrist Labour, left party due to leftward drift, but never really established herself as a social democrat. Her reputation as a minister was of someone who dithered and could not make a decision.
I dont think she ever resolved in her own mind what she really stood for. Held some illiberal views garnered from her catholic faith, opposing, for example, gay marriage. Was fiercely pro Europe.
Still, a thoroughly decent sort, respected on all sides.
RIP.

Very bright, very talented and as a few people have noted very decent. Always thought it was a shame she didn't stay and fight for what she believed in - within the Labour Party - she was a cut above the likes of Owen and Rogers who were just expedient chancers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.