Shocking Defending and that Incl Given

DTKOAG

Awful.
Cant expect top 4 position with defending like that.
Given great shot stopper but as for commanding his area & his defenders just basic average.

DTKOAG said:
Awful.
Given great shot stopper but as for commanding his area & his defenders just basic average.
thought that for a while.Givens command of his area is non-exsistant . It seems he is immune to criticism.

Shay Givens had exactly the same problems whilst up at Newcastle , didn't exactly command his area there either , and that helped them concede enough goals to get relegated ...... it wasn't all the fault of their incompetent defenders.

But our defending today , as it has been so often , was absolutely woeful ......

Agree totally about Given, I've said it all season. He was a good step up from what we had at the time (i.e. an inexperienced Joe Hart who is now starting to really look the business), but he is woeful on crosses.

SO many of the goals we have conceded this season could have been stopped by having a keeper who leaves his line for crosses and generally commands his area better. I also agree, remember that Newcastle went down with this fella in net.

Your right, the two goals from outside the box are because Given didn't come out and command his area. He could have easily come out and collected the ball before they got a shot away.

Both goals were down to awful defending and not closing down quick enough. Defensive errors.

Given isn't the best at coming for a cross, even though he came for one today to my suprise! but non of the goals today were the keepers fault, both good strikes.

What isn't helping the team is that for various reasons (injuries, african cup etc) we haven't been able to play a settled defence. Any team would struggle with such a situation. As ever we are going to have to be patient.

I do however have doubts about Given.

ballinio said:
DTKOAG said:
Awful.
thought that for a while.Givens command of his area is non-exsistant . It seems he is immune to criticism.

Good morning to all - first post so go easy!

Obviously I'm not blamiming Given for today's defeat however it is an interesting one this... I have to say that for a long time I've thought that Given, from an overall defensive point of view, is the weakest link at the back. Whilst his ability to pull out the great saves is not being questioned I feel his general defensive abilities (which are required much more than the occasional spectacular save) as a goalkeeper are very poor. Many times throughout the season his lack of ability to come for crosses has resulted in many attempts a goal and/or goals being scrored that just should not have even had a chance compared to that of a goalkeeper who isn't afraid to come off their line.

Balls sail into the area, even the 6 yard area, and Given is rooted to the line watching the ball fly past him. I'm surprised that summerizers on MOTD/Sky etc NEVER mention this - maybe Mancini realised this before he came though as he described Given as one of the top 5 keepers in the world - gives him a choice of at east 4 that he could say are better!

I'll talk about Mancini on another suitable thread...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.