Bury fans club AFC start a new life in NWCL

Sorry, I’ve only been paying half attention to this. When people say we should “save” Bury do they mean we should write a check/assume the debt of the (presumably) rich guy who owns the team? Why should we do this?

I know we lent them the training ground that they promptly let fall into disrepair. Am I missing something here?

I think the only solution is the FA writing in new laws that give them the power to take clubs off owners in the event of unpaid wages, administration etc. Otherwise there really is nothing that can be done that isn't just helping the corrupt chairman that got them in the problem in the first place.

If the league could "repossess" the team and then look to find a new owner to take on the debts, then it would be a hell of a lot easier for other clubs to help out as they could pay down some of the debt without the issue of helping the dodgy owner and inflating the value of his business

I think the only solution is the FA writing in new laws that give them the power to take clubs off owners in the event of unpaid wages, administration etc. Otherwise there really is nothing that can be done that isn't just helping the corrupt chairman that got them in the problem in the first place.

If the league could "repossess" the team and then look to find a new owner to take on the debts, then it would be a hell of a lot easier for other clubs to help out as they could pay down some of the debt without the issue of helping the dodgy owner and inflating the value of his business
Bit dodgy legally that. I'd like to see league 1 and below bring in the 50%+1 model from Germany, think it would give the clubs a lot of much needed financial stability. Maybe a version of the Spanish minimum liquid capital rule in the leagues above.

Isn’t this just going to allow dodgy owners to do what they like, rip the club off, knowing that someone else will just come along and recover the mess?

Bit dodgy legally that. I'd like to see league 1 and below bring in the 50%+1 model from Germany, think it would give the clubs a lot of much needed financial stability. Maybe a version of the Spanish minimum liquid capital rule in the leagues above.
American sports kind of have it (although they have a weird monopoly system in general) but I think they absolutely have the authority to do it if they get approval from the FL teams? It's not ideal but it's better than having terrible owners given the ability to bankrupt clubs while refusing offers like Dale seems to be doing. At the moment it seems like you have the "fit and proper" test to buy the club, then that's it, once you've passed it your free to do whatever you want and they can't stop you.

I'm not sure whether the whole "supporter owned" thing would really work here, as there are so many clubs and they aren't hugely supported. Do someone like Bury really have enough fans to own 51% of the club, in a stable way? I don't know. I think there are a lot of clubs in England who are worth a lot more than their fanbase can really justify, because of how much money their is in the English game. I could be way off on that tbf

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.