Sick of minutes silence/applause at football matches

remembrance sunday , for those who gave their lives,no clapping just 2 minutes silence and new years for people connected to the club.

now and again if something major has happening eg 9/11 then fair enough
I suppose the problem has emerged from how you define something major. Over 15x the amount of people died in the Syria/Turkey earthquakes than 9/11. I felt there was a genuine outburst of public sentiment over Ukraine that felt natural, especially with Zinny playing for us, but the Israel/Palestine stuff is a clusterfuck.

Dunno how you pedal back at this point.

remembrance sunday , for those who gave their lives,no clapping just 2 minutes silence and new years for people connected to the club.

now and again if something major has happening eg 9/11 then fair enough
Why even Remembrance Sunday? If you want to observe the 2 minutes silence you can do that at 11am on the appropriate Sunday.

It's got no more to do with football (and I speak as someone whose grandfather fought in the trenches and told me horrific stories about those events) than Israel/Gaza or natural disasters thousands of miles away.

Agree with you. On this part of the message though... What I was trying to get really, but didn't word well (and probably won't again) was about how silly the degrees of respect seem to be.

I get that Bobby was better known than Franny around the world etc, so there being more attention doesn't surprise me. But does he deserve more respect because he was a slightly better footballer? Because he won the World Cup?

It's one of those things where there's no way of pleasing everyone and always being consistent, but looking into the future, would Harry Kane end up not getting the widespread silences and attention because he hasn't won a World Cup? Does that make a difference when it's a team game?

If Geoff Hurst's 2nd goal hadn't counted we might have lost that game. And then what? Would Bobby be viewed any differently? Would he be any less if a person because a close decision went against us rather than for us? Would he deserve any less respect?

Put simply, he won the WC so he deserves respect from the English football community. If he hadn't have won it, he'd be a united legend and probably still regarded as one of our best, but winning the WC elevates him, quite rightly. You get club legends and then there are national heroes and icons and that 1966 team is immortal.

I'm not sure if other teams will do anything this weekend following his death. Was Greaves the last of that team to die, before Charlton? Can't remember if anything was done outside of his former teams.

Put simply, he won the WC so he deserves respect from the English football community. If he hadn't have won it, he'd be a united legend and probably still regarded as one of our best, but winning the WC elevates him, quite rightly. You get club legends and then there are national heroes and icons and that 1966 team is immortal.

I'm not sure if other teams will do anything this weekend following his death. Was Greaves the last of that team to die, before Charlton? Can't remember if anything was done outside of his former teams.

In that case, win the next World Cup and one day, hopefully in many years, the whole country will stop in respect of Harry Maguire...

George Cohen was

Yeah it's kind of double standards to say only remembrance Sunday should be observed. What if other dates are more significant to certain people. Sack them all off or don't in my opinion.

Why even Remembrance Sunday? If you want to observe the 2 minutes silence you can do that at 11am on the appropriate Sunday.

It's got no more to do with football (and I speak as someone whose grandfather fought in the trenches and told me horrific stories about those events) than Israel/Gaza or natural disasters thousands of miles away.
Remembrance Sunday is a given...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.