silva back in the starting XI

NanaToure42 said:
100% agree. Nasri has been world class the last few matches. He and Kolorov (unlikely duo) have been working together and interlinking more effectively than Silva and Clichy ever have offensively. Also think Nasri is more of a scoring threat than Silva. As of right now I think our first team left back and left attacking middy have to be Alex and Sam.

Here's a great tactical analysis of how effective the Nas-orov (or maybe Kol-ri?) duo was in the derby. (credit to whoever posted this link originally in the United post-match thread) Very interesting stuff.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2013/09...and-kolarovs-overlapping-puts-city-in-charge/
To be fair, I think the problem with the poor combination going forward was mostly due to Clichy's inefficiency going forward.Unfortunately, Silva can't do as good a job of helping Kolarov as Nasri can. So if we are ever playing Kolarov on the left, I'll always prefer the Nasri to Silva as the left mid.

But if the leftback is Clichy, then it really doesn't matter who the left mid is. SIlva is as good as Nasri going forward. Sometimes even better. But defensively Nasri is better.

I wonder whether playing Nasri on the left with Silva on the right is under consideration. Inverts both players for them to cut inside, which they probably do naturally anyway. Would relegate Navas to the bench a bit, which is probably not deserved, but would allow us to play more of a 4-2-2-2. Then could sub in width with Navas/Milner when the middle isn't working.

BoyBlue_1985 said:
de niro said:
Ducado said:
Why would you drop a player that is playing the best he has since he got here?

No particular reason other than he's the best player at the club, oh and he drags three men with him all over the place, then you see his vision and of course his country are world champions and they pick him.

Other than that no reason.

Besides against some teams you could play both. Villa is one of them.
Well he isnt the best player at the club but thats all a bit subjective with the talent we have at Manchester City. His country being World Champions means little as that was 3 years ago and in that tournament he started 1 game and made 1 subs appearance. He does drag 3 men around with him but has not been anywhere near as good as he can be and was when he first joined
No one is untouchable and when the man in your position is pulling up trees you dont just walk back in

No bigger Spanish Dave fan than me but BB is bang on the money............

Davs 19 said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
de niro said:
No particular reason other than he's the best player at the club, oh and he drags three men with him all over the place, then you see his vision and of course his country are world champions and they pick him.

Other than that no reason.

Besides against some teams you could play both. Villa is one of them.
Well he isnt the best player at the club but thats all a bit subjective with the talent we have at Manchester City. His country being World Champions means little as that was 3 years ago and in that tournament he started 1 game and made 1 subs appearance. He does drag 3 men around with him but has not been anywhere near as good as he can be and was when he first joined
No one is untouchable and when the man in your position is pulling up trees you dont just walk back in

No bigger Spanish Dave fan than me but BB is bang on the money............

Add to this that Nasri is actually better coming from wide and deep and probably better at pressing and tougher (arguably better at keeping possession) with better stamina it's by no means a foregone conclusion that Silva will regain that place. There's no point dragging 3 men with you if it adversely effects the shape of your own team.

I'm a massive fan of Silva but his best role as number 10 is seemingly not an option under Pellegrini.

That old saying ''if it ain't broke, don't fix it'' springs to mind. How can you drop anyone from the derby lineup? They all played excellently, even Kolarov FFS!

I think there's a difference between making a player untouchable and giving him ample opportunities to get back to his best.

Not long ago people were grumbling about Aguero being given untouchable status. He started the season slowly after his injury, people were calling for him to be dropped. But Pellegreni persevered with him, allowed him to play himself back into fitness and form.

Similarly Yaya recently assumed the status of "fat, lazy bastard". In his case it wasn't a case of recovering from injury, more about getting used to his partnership with Fernandhino (and for MP to realise how he should best be utilised)

Pellegrini persisted with both Aguero and Yaya because he realised that they are truly world class players that can do things for us that other players cannot.

I think that Silva (along with Kompany) falls into that same category. At his best he's much better and more consistent than Nasri. The idea of treating him as if he's just another player seems to me to be absurd. Of course he shouldn't be rushed back when he's unfit. But it should be an objective to get him back into the team and back to form as quickly as possible.

Merlin is a magician, when fit he plays.

I agree though that we don't have to rush him back due to our form however people have short memories if they think we are better without him.

IMO Vince, Yaya, Sergio and Merlin are our true world class players.

Rammy Blue said:
Merlin is a magician, when fit he plays.

I agree though that we don't have to rush him back due to our form however people have short memories if they think we are better without him.

IMO Vince, Yaya, Sergio and Merlin are our true world class players.

So no matter how well anybody else plays, someone gives way to Dave, even if if the guy he replaces is pulling up trees and Dave's struggling ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.