Sim only vs. Contract

BlueMedic

What do you lot use & why?

For the last 3 or so phones that I've had they've just been on 24 month contracts, for a number of reasons, i.e. cost of buying a handset outright, ease of having contract sorted, and simply routine. However my phone contract is up again next month & I can move on.

Initially I was thinking I'd just keep my current phone & go sim only to save some money. However the battery life of my current one has started to become an issue, and I can afford to upgrade so why not.

So for the first time I figured I'd look into buying the handset outright, and going sim only, as I figured this must be the cheaper option. But strangely it seems the opposite, I'm finding contract deals that all in cost less than the cost of buying the handset I was looking at outright. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places or my sample size is too small.

On a side note I was also looking at switching to Android for the first time, my last 3 have all been iPhones, for no other reason than I've been used to them & found strangely good deals on the latest phone at the time my contracts have been up, never paying >£30/month for the latest one on reliable networks - however this year the latest iPhones are looking at almost double that price which is madness if I can get an equivalent/better spec'ed Android for similar to what I currently pay. Hope the transition is smooth.

Contracts are for company phones or inadequates who think the latest gizmo adds to their personalities.

Buy a phone, get a monthly rolling contract.

If you have a phone you like and can replace the battery then do that and get a sim only.

Just read you have an iphone.

Oh well...
iSlaves like to waste money but there are not many phones out there any more with batteries you can replace without a soldering iron.

If you want the newest best phone from what I can see contracts are better. If you can make do with a phone you have after your contract has expired there are great deals knocking about for sim only.

Simple maths should tell you if its worth it or not.A £500 phone over 24 months is £21 a month. A sim only deal is typically £9 so £30 a month is the same as £500 up front and £9 a month.

I'm thinking of ditching apple as the latest models keep going up in price where as the competitors are now arguably better yet not anywhere ear the price hikes. £500 buys you a great phone from various other than apple.

Ignore all the bs about iPhones. If your last 3 phones have been iPhones you will hate an android phone. Best option is to buy a new phone from eBay (unwanted upgrade) and choose your sim only deal depending how much data you need. Don’t forget that an iPhone will lock to the network of the first sim you put in it.

I've always wondered, what are people doing where they need the latest phone? I spent £150 on my last phone, I've had it for 3 years, and I honestly can't say I've ever tried to do anything where I thought it was too slow to handle it.

Contracts are for company phones or inadequates who think the latest gizmo adds to their personalities.

Buy a phone, get a monthly rolling contract.
Sounds great unless the phones you're looking at cost more to buy a handset + spend £240 over 24 months on a £10/month contract, than it would be to spend £25/month on a contract.

Not sure choosing the cheaper option makes people inadequates.
I've always wondered, what are people doing where they need the latest phone? I spent £150 on my last phone, I've had it for 3 years, and I honestly can't say I've ever tried to do anything where I thought it was too slow to handle it.
My phone is equivalent to an iPhone 6 roughly I believe, there's been a good number of versions since that, so I'm not someone who'll be upgrading yearly each time a new version comes out.

When I want to upgrade though I do want it to be an upgrade rather than a side-step. I want something that's going to last a few years minimum whilst still being a good phone. Paying a bit more for a phone more optimised in the areas I need it for doesn't seem too bad to me, it's something I'll use daily for a few years - a better investment than a lot of things I see people spend money on.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.