Sim only vs. Contract

Ignore all the bs about iPhones. If your last 3 phones have been iPhones you will hate an android phone. Best option is to buy a new phone from eBay (unwanted upgrade) and choose your sim only deal depending how much data you need. Don’t forget that an iPhone will lock to the network of the first sim you put in it.
I'll never know unless I try it though. So long as it does the same things, having to re-learn how to do those said things doesn't seem too bad to me if it'll save me hundreds of pounds for the same/better technology.

Simple maths should tell you if its worth it or not.A £500 phone over 24 months is £21 a month. A sim only deal is typically £9 so £30 a month is the same as £500 up front and £9 a month.

I'm thinking of ditching apple as the latest models keep going up in price where as the competitors are now arguably better yet not anywhere ear the price hikes. £500 buys you a great phone from various other than apple.

Android phones have always been superior in price and tech, but Apple have a polished product and great build quality so I can see why they are popular.

Simple maths should tell you if its worth it or not.A £500 phone over 24 months is £21 a month. A sim only deal is typically £9 so £30 a month is the same as £500 up front and £9 a month.

I'm thinking of ditching apple as the latest models keep going up in price where as the competitors are now arguably better yet not anywhere ear the price hikes. £500 buys you a great phone from various other than apple.
Yeh, seems in general from my looking that the "newest" & best known phones are generally cheaper on contract because the handsets are so expensive (>£800) whereas getting them on contract often costs around, or even less, than the handset standalone cost.

As you say though, if you're happy with the less crazily costed phones it may well be cheaper on Sim only.
Android phones have always been superior in price and tech, but Apple have a polished product and great build quality so I can see why they are popular.
A rare neutral sounding view point rather than bashing one or t'other.

Apple phones look nice, feel great, work without issue and provide as you say a smooth/polished experience. I think in the 6 years I had them I had an issue once with the home button, nipped to the store and they gave me a brand new phone within the hour. Outside of the cost I'm not as sure they deserve the bashing they get at times; or maybe I've just been on the lucky end of the spectrum.

Whilst I've yet to try Android it sounds more rugged, but certainly more bang for your buck. I can see pro's/con's to both. Will be nice to have one for a few years & see which I prefer.

Moto g5 plus £199 & £7.50 pm sim from Tesco.

Probably much cheaper now as the phone was newly released when I got it

I've got a cheap MotoG4 plus and a Sim only with ID which works well for me.
Couldn't face the price of an iphone.
I have to say the software isn't quite as smooth working as the Iphones that some people have but its fine for my use and the camera is excellent.
I can believe that the contract is a bit cheaper for the pricier phones, they usually have you locked in for 24 months and a lot of people don't cancel at the end or take a couple of months or just upgrade so they keep customers.

I don't really get the insistence that SIM only or contract is better, it depends entirely on the deal. Plus a lot of people can't lay their hands on £500 to buy one up front so effectively spreading payments is appealing, same as any other purchase that might cost more overall, but is easier to bear.

As ever, just look at the deal available.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.