Sinatra

Never took to him really. Elvis was much more expressive as an interpretive singer. And he didn't have anywhere near as much musical training as Ol' Blie Eyes. But that bell canto style and soaring voice Sinatra had was perfect for jazz standards, ballads and good old torch songs. But if you listen to an entire album of diverse material his voice seems stretched to thin. I swear one of his greatest albums is the Watertown album, which was a rock concert album. But absolutely nobody bought it.

Not to get off topic too much but I gave a rousing drunken rendition of 'it's not unusual' by Tom Jones in a real red neck bar in Thayne, Wyoming. The dance floor had been a sea of cowboy hats and Wranglers, by the time I was done, nobody was dancing, there was just a stony silence apart from my two mates at the bar pissing themselves laughing. Wasn't sure if I'd get out alive....made it ...just
Just like that bar in lava. It said "no guns" on the door.

Apparently his "phrasing" was masterful, ( wtf ), " anyone with that orchestra backing would be great" " "pfft he's not a singer, he's a crooner " " Bing Crosby was better". Not my opinions, just some comments from people who work/worked in the classical/choral/opera world. One reckoned his hey-day coincided and suffered with the general anti-yank feeling that arose in the UK post-war, particularly our ex-servicemen.
As a no-nowt unmusical bystander, i believe his fifty odd years in the business selling umpteen million albums makes him a giant to most, but like anyone so successful, will have his critics. That's life (soz), but for me "High Society" was fkin great,
My gripe, a little one it must be said, is having to listen to the ultimate " How great am I" anthem that concludes so many retirement "do s". Cringe....

Apparently his "phrasing" was masterful, ( wtf ), " anyone with that orchestra backing would be great" " "pfft he's not a singer, he's a crooner " " Bing Crosby was better". Not my opinions, just some comments from people who work/worked in the classical/choral/opera world. One reckoned his hey-day coincided and suffered with the general anti-yank feeling that arose in the UK post-war, particularly our ex-servicemen.
As a no-nowt unmusical bystander, i believe his fifty odd years in the business selling umpteen million albums makes him a giant to most, but like anyone so successful, will have his critics. That's life (soz), but for me "High Society" was fkin great,
My gripe, a little one it must be said, is having to listen to the ultimate " How great am I" anthem that concludes so many retirement "do s". Cringe....
Respectfully disagree.

If you haven't yet listened to this... please do so - this performance from a singer in his 5th decade - past his prime. It's hard to appreciate musical talent in studio performances - this live performance captures Sinatra's brilliance like no studio recording could ever do.

Last edited:
Love Frank, great voice but it was his ability to tell a story & captivate the audience.

Saw this a few years back, similar flair

I have never understood the thing with this fella. He doesn't sound any different to a thousand other crooners imo. I do not like his films either, you can see in every scene he wants to be the star and he fucks the scenes up due to hamming it up. I just don't get the thing with him and i am reasonably sure his mob connections were what kept him relevant. Maybe i was brought up an a Frank Sinatra vacuum but no one i know is into him, aunts, grans etc. He doesn't stand out as a great anything really to my ears and eyes. Maybe when i get older his stuff may appeal more.
Simple reason why, mafia.

Never took to him really. Elvis was much more expressive as an interpretive singer. And he didn't have anywhere near as much musical training as Ol' Blie Eyes. But that bell canto style and soaring voice Sinatra had was perfect for jazz standards, ballads and good old torch songs. But if you listen to an entire album of diverse material his voice seems stretched to thin. I swear one of his greatest albums is the Watertown album, which was a rock concert album. But absolutely nobody bought it.
Sinatra had a beautiful voice, no doubt, he appealed to men and women, he was no Rod Stewart wriggling his arse and emphasising his big dick in a pair of tights

Sinatra had a beautiful voice, no doubt, he appealed to men and women, he was no Rod Stewart wriggling his arse and emphasising his big dick in a pair of tights

Ronnie Wood put it best. Rod lost the plot when he went to LA. As has sadly happened to other English artists like Peter Cook and Dusty Springfield. 'Cept instead of drowning his sorrows in booze he drowned himself in blonds. Not a bad idea in retrospect... but he still comes off as a huge waste.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.