Singing section/Atmosphere

The bottom line is we have too many fans who have become apathetic in trying to sing, many sit there on there phones more interested in taking selfies and on Facebook than watching the game. I see it every game I go to.

1894 group do a cracking job, but unless more fans can be bothered joining in, most of our stadiums atmosphere will remain pretty sterile.

The big cock up was pushing that 111 area as a singing section 10 years ago because now you've got 1000 or so hardcore singers in there who won't move but are basically lost to the atmosphere as it doesn't spread from there. That was the start of breaking up the singers. The club ballsed up their big chance to rectify this when they opened up SS Level 3. There were a few permutations which would have helped, but the one they chose was the worst option. The singers are now dispersed over three areas and it doesn't really work.

There would be one last opportunity to salvage things, but they won't do it. Change the name of the South Stand Upper Tier to "New Kippax" or something. Keep the season tickets all at £299. For half a season before the implementation market it as the mew singing end, offering existing season ticket holders in that tier the chance to relocate elsewhere for the same price. Put 1894 up at the back of that section, allow banners and flags etc. Make it first come/first served for the rest of the season tickets up there but make it clear there will be standing etc.

Songs would sound louder and would spread from up there quickly round the ground. It's still next to the away fans. If/when it started to work then people would gravitate towards it. And it wold have that "end" feel about it being high, steep and if it was draped with banners.
The idea is good, but I don't think the south stand as a whole is the problem. The issues are with the rest of the ground. 93:20 seats, big corporate areas all over the show. Family stand is HUGE + in a key area.

Wouldn't it be better if we scrapped the labels all these different areas we have? The whole stadium is a singing section IMO, but too often people look towards the south stand for a song to start. How about the crazy idea of making childrens tickets cheap everywhere, giving corporate clients access to bars/facilities without having to clump them all together and encouraging singing from every part of the ground? if that doesn't happen the songs are choreographed because the whole ground waits for SS. And the SS usually sings something that isn't easy enough to join in with.

The bottom line is we have too many fans who have become apathetic in trying to sing, many sit there on there phones more interested in taking selfies and on Facebook than watching the game. I see it every game I go to.

1894 group do a cracking job, but unless more fans can be bothered joining in, most of our stadiums atmosphere will remain pretty sterile.

Thats football in general and not just our club with the selfies etc.

The increase in day trippers rather than actual fans able to go is something i feel behind that.

The idea is good, but I don't think the south stand as a whole is the problem. The issues are with the rest of the ground. 93:20 seats, big corporate areas all over the show. Family stand is HUGE + in a key area.

Wouldn't it be better if we scrapped the labels all these different areas we have? The whole stadium is a singing section IMO, but too often people look towards the south stand for a song to start. How about the crazy idea of making childrens tickets cheap everywhere, giving corporate clients access to bars/facilities without having to clump them all together and encouraging singing from every part of the ground? if that doesn't happen the songs are choreographed because the whole ground waits for SS. And the SS usually sings something that isn't easy enough to join in with.

why just kids tickets? you put the kids near singing and as soon as abit of foul language is sang you have parents unhappy.

Thats football in general and not just our club with the selfies etc.

The increase in day trippers rather than actual fans able to go is something i feel behind that.
I agree with both your points. When the songs emanate to reach east level 3 where I am I gladly sing. But if I rose out of my seat to belch out to get a song going , there'd be more chance a showsec bully would try and eject me for disturbing the peace!

Proper atmosphere, the type that helps the team, for me is not 500 people singing the Edin Dzeko song for 10 minutes, or 2000 Basle fans bouncing up and down ad singing about a Toblerone for 90 minutes. It's when the whole ground sings loudly at the right moments. I've believed for a long time that the Etihad is full of "floating" singers who will join in a song if it's the right song at the right time, and they don't feel stupid joining in. We are English, don't forget.

For that to happen more often the ground needs one voice, one song, coming from one place. We have a big stadium so the song needs to "catch on" quickly around both sides of the ground at the same time. If a song is born up in the gods of level 3, I think it would be taken up by the 111 singers and the south stand lower singers at the same time, and have a much better chance of spreading around the ground. I sit in CB Level 3, an area where little singing takes place, but it will do at the right moments. I can tell you that in the biggest, noisiest games, for the first 10 minutes of the game, whenever there is a "right" moment for a song, two different songs will start up. One in the south stand lower and one in 111. And the "Floating" singers around me won't join in because there's just a muddy noise. After 10 minutes of this these "floating" singers basically give up.

I'm rambling, but the ground needs ONE voice, ONE decent sized area where songs start, and the rest will look after itself.

ideally move some of the singers near both goals of the ground (moving the family stand away) could work when the teams attacking both ends.

Nothing more frustrating than seeing empty seats in the family stand.
Or sitting in the family stand and seeing empty seats in other parts of the ground

Yes, and to me that's just background noise, not atmosphere. I went to Dortmund when we played them in the CL and their chanting is totally regimented, they hardly paused even to react to the goal, it was robotic almost - so much so that I barely noticed it after about 10 minutes. Despite the myths that get peddled on here the old Kippax was never a hub of continuous chanting, it could be as quiet as a cemetery at times. I'm all for more singing from the fans but not going down that route.

Completely agree.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.