Sky wanting an Xmas Eve game

So what happens when Christmas Day falls on a Sunday as it did last year? Did Sky show any games then? Of course not. As such, I don’t see why you’re making such a big deal of this “2 games down if they don’t show any on Christmas Eve” malarkey. If they don’t show any games on Xmas Eve, they’ll still find enough slots between now and the end of the season to show their contracted number of games.

I wouldn’t mind, but they’re unlikely to get as big an audience for a Christmas Eve Sunday game as they would if it was a normal Sunday anyway.

No, because Christmas Day on a Sunday was factored into the contract. They didn't bother to factor Christmas Eve into the contract. That's the whole point, and why the annoyance should be toward the PL.

Friday night is worse than Sunday 4pm, even if it's Xmas Eve.

Depends on the game I would say, 22nd a lot of people will be finishing for the christmas period and no work next day, so arriving late home or staying over nd going back sat will be a lot easier than driving hime late christmas eve or trying to get home christmas day.

Trains, I think they only stopped running on Xmas Day in the 60s and Boxing Day in the 70s.
Assuming the Xmas day game was 2pm kick off, ending just before 4pm, the team then have to change, get to GMEX (don't think Picc was built then) and most likely get a train to Crewe / Brum and then onto Bristol / Plymouth. Surely there couldn't have been too many trains running at that time of the day?
It would have been some trek to make back then, in preparation for a game the next day. No doubt they would have travelled back with the Plymouth team too.

Assuming the Xmas day game was 2pm kick off, ending just before 4pm, the team then have to change, get to GMEX (don't think Picc was built then) and most likely get a train to Crewe / Brum and then onto Bristol / Plymouth. Surely there couldn't have been too many trains running at that time of the day?
It would have been some trek to make back then, in preparation for a game the next day. No doubt they would have travelled back with the Plymouth team too.
There would have been a reasonable train service, car ownership was much lower and there were no M-ways. Yes I'm fairly sure @Gary James mentions in his book that both teams travelled back on the same train.

Anybody remember what happened in 2006; the last time Chrimbo Eve fell on a Sunday? Sky were showing Sunday games in those days.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.