Small club bandwagon jumpers

Mad Eyed Screamer

Am I alone in disliking the likes of Exeter / Burton Albion and Crawley Town fans turning up at the swamp - all 9,000 of them dressed up in jester hats, stupid wigs and other merchandise they bought the week of the game from the club shop?

Reminds me of the 37,000 Gillingham 'fans' who came to watch 'their' club at Wembley in 1999.
The media lauds over them, cameras glued to their every nail bite......
Yet next week Crawley will have maybe 1000 fans at their home game and all the bandwagon jumpers who sang their hearts out ''for the lads'' will go back to ignoring their local club once more.......

I've found alot of these jumpers usually follow a "tv club"
As in they will live in Crawley, class themselves as being born and bred in Crawley yet have a slight interest in football and have a tv club they follow called Man Utd.

As they follow the rags they will realise through the media that their local club is playing their tv club and they'll decide to support the underdog for 90mins.

The Crawley fans at the swamp yesterday have probably been to Sold Trafford more than they have been to Broadfield Stadium

SteSteez said:
As in they will live in Crawley, class themselves as being born and bred in Crawley yet have a slight interest in football and have a tv club they follow called Man Utd.

As they follow the rags they will realise through the media that their local club is playing their tv club and they'll decide to support the underdog for 90mins.

The Crawley fans at the swamp yesterday have probably been to Sold Trafford more than they have been to Broadfield Stadium

tbh for the most part I've got no problem with these kind of fans. Realistically, a Crawley or a Southend etc are never going to taste real glory, why should the fan only be allowed to follow League 2 or Blue Square football all of their lives? I'm sure in that 9,000 crowd at OT there were a bunch of fans who support United, but for that day they gave it all for their small local club. I've got absolutely zero problem with that.

Im from Rochdale. I have always supported City, but when Rochdale went to wembley for the playoff I went to support my local team.

Im not gonna go all the time, as i can barely afford to follow us nevermind another team, but if I can go once or twice a season to Spotland I will.

Does that class me as a bandwagon jumper?

Andouble said:
SteSteez said:

tbh for the most part I've got no problem with these kind of fans. Realistically, a Crawley or a Southend etc are never going to taste real glory, why should the fan only be allowed to follow League 2 or Blue Square football all of their lives? I'm sure in that 9,000 crowd at OT there were a bunch of fans who support United, but for that day they gave it all for their small local club. I've got absolutely zero problem with that.

I never said I have a problem with this, people are free to support who they want. hey fuck it for all I care support City and Rags at the same time... Kind of defeats the object of supporting a club but who am I to say who one should support?

My only gripe is when true fans of clubs lose out on tickets at matches.

Lets say we got to a final this season and I couldn't get a ticket because the Real Madrid fan from London wants to see the Cup Final.
I've been to every round so far of the FA Cup but would miss the final for the sake of somebody who wanted to see this game... and may have a bigger disposable income than myself so real fans miss out.

It irked me a bit, must admit, but then I thought if I was from somewhere like Crawley and didn't support them but had a soft spot for them, fuck it, I would have gone. We can be football snobs at time; we forget we're blessed to support a team competing for honours in the top flight. Others don't get the privilege of visiting top flight clubs every week and so it's expected many would suddenly jump at the chance. If Stockport County made the playoff final (light years away!) I'd be up for goin.

leroy said:
Im from Rochdale. I have always supported City, but when Rochdale went to wembley for the playoff I went to support my local team.

Im not gonna go all the time, as i can barely afford to follow us nevermind another team, but if I can go once or twice a season to Spotland I will.

I went to that game with the county fans because a load of my mates went and my step dad offered to take me ( He's a rag, well claims to be he is stuck in 1999 with his views) along with my step brother ( Rag who has never been to a united match) and my granddad came as well and he's a through and through blue who I go to matches with, his reason was that watching county will be the only time we will watch a game together and we'd been to a few games that season and the one before as well. I don't watch them anymore and have never paid to watch them play as I don't particularly like the club.

Does that make me a bandwagon jumper as well ?<br /><br />-- Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:27 pm --<br /><br />
leroy said:

I went to that game with the county fans because a load of my mates went and my step dad offered to take me ( He's a rag, well claims to be he is stuck in 1999 with his views) along with my step brother ( Rag who has never been to a united match) and my granddad came as well and he's a through and through blue who I go to matches with, his reason was that watching county will be the only time we will watch a game together and we'd been to a few games that season and the one before as well. I don't watch them anymore and have never paid to watch them play as I don't particularly like the club.

Does that make me a bandwagon jumper as well ?

Just like the County fans singing Rooney Rooney yesterday. Half of them either aren't football fans or support a top 4 team and more than likely never go to any of their games.

My local club is Preston, their ground is about 2 miles away and i can safely say i've never been to a game there except when City played them let alone any of their cup matches. They got Arsenal and Chelsea not long ago.

Couple of us in the north stand were singing "I had a bandwagon, the wheels fell off."

Thought it was quite funny, mainly as I made it up ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.