Smart meters - what is the purpose?

2nd generation of meters are supposed to work with any energy company so should still work if you switch. Due to start roll out in a couple of years, so if you ain't got one yet it might be worth hanging on till they're available.
Yet they are still rolling out the old ones which don't work if you change supplier, even though they spend a load of time suggesting you change supplier.
Most simple electrical items come with a power rating in watts so it's easy to work out the current being drawn. It's more complicated for goods which don't specify the percentage at lower settings: For example a 900W microwave might have 3 or 4 lower settings which don't have the power specified. A smart meter might help to calculate that current.
Another possible use is working out which fuel is cheaper for a specific task: Bunging a ding meal in the Microwave for ten minutes from frozen or in the gas oven for half an hour.
But overall I'd guess the benefits are dwarfed by the costs of installing them nationwide.

Is it not as simple as:

- don't fill the kettle to the brim for every brew
- don't leave the oven on for ages with nothing in it
- unplug devices when they've stopped charging

etc etc?

The original theory was that they would reduce energy demand. People would monitor their useage, turn off appliances when demand is highest etc. What they've found is that a small number of people take a greater interest in their energy consumption patterns for about a month after they've been installed but then lose interest.

I wouldn't live in or buy a house with one in, many reasons stated in previous posts, but rest assured, if it fucks up, and says you've used 'x' amount more than you have, they won't, for one single solitary moment, have it that it's a mistake/fuck-up by said meter and they will take steps to make sure you pay, although having said that, I think the guy who's meter read he'd used over £9,000 worth of electricity in a day managed to persuade a court he didn't use £9,000 worth of electricity in a day.

The y can be read from their end without the need human meter readers. Estimated bill are a nonsense though, how they managed to sneak that in is amazing.

According to the ads they keep " Gaz and Lekky" under control. How?

I know if I am using too much power. I get a bill. I am told the best way to cut that is to switch supplier. I also know to keep that pesky duo under control I need to become my dad and go round unplugging stuff and turning the heating down. Beyond that the only option is to sit in the cold and dark having switched everything off.

Having spoken to my supplier who contacted me today the best they can come up with is an end to estimated bills. Isn't that something they should have come up with and installed themselves but instead they get all of us to fund whether we have one or not? I asked about possible hacking and whether one would prevent switching supplier and was told there were no recorded hackings having taken place but it cannot be ruled out and yes in some instances if you get one from say E-ON you may not be able to use it with British Gas so will need to arrange British Gas ( with a possible charge to accompany it ) to come and install one of theirs.

All in all looks to me like a scam dressed up as energy efficiency by the suppliers whilst they get on with the important job of ripping us off....

Charges you the right rate all the time so you can't fall into arrears i guess.........

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.