"Smart" motorways

I haven't seen the show, i don't need to.
They like to bring out statistics to show how safe they are.
As we know, statistics can be manipulated.
What they don't show are near misses. I have seen first hand these near misses.
A car stops in lane one. The following cars all swerve round. This has a knock on effect in the other lanes.
All the cars start to brake meaning any gaps no longer exist.
Some cars seeing that lane one has suddenly become empty, dive for it. Then yep, you've guessed it!
The camera operators just don't act quick enough. They will never be quick enough until cars have onboard computers to automatically warn other cars.

Last edited:
Smart motorways or not, the competence of the average driver nowadays is appalling.

I spend circa 4/5 hours a day behind the wheel of my car and it never ceases to amaze me how bad some of the driving is that I encounter, I’m regularly having to predict what the next nutcase will do in order to ensure safety for myself.

No hope whatsoever when you build these smart motorways into the equation. I try and steer clear of busy rush hour traffic as much as possible.

Smart motorways or not, the competence of the average driver nowadays is appalling.

I spend circa 4/5 hours a day behind the wheel of my car and it never ceases to amaze me how bad some of the driving is that I encounter, I’m regularly having to predict what the next nutcase will do in order to ensure safety for myself.

No hope whatsoever when you build these smart motorways into the equation. I try and steer clear of busy rush hour traffic as much as possible.
Defensive driving, name of the game !

I haven't seen the show, i don't need to.
They like to bring out statistics to show how safe they are.
As we know, statistics can be manipulated.
What they don't show are near misses. I have seen first hand these near misses.
A car stops in lane one. The following cars all swerve round. This has a knock on effect in the other lanes.
All the cars start to break meaning any gaps no longer exist.
Some cars seeing that lane one has suddenly become empty, dive for it. Then yep, you've guessed it!
The camera operators just don't act quick enough. They will never be quick enough until cars have onboard computers to automatically warn other cars.
it showed quite a few near misses on the programme ,it was scary as fuck

Well the fuckwit seems to have ducked out of the thread this afternoon so hopefully now the discussion will stop being all about people trying to have a debate with an attention seeker.

The Transport Minister was doing the usual politician thing of not answering questions. He seems a right smug fucker. Almost looked like he was smirking at times.

The smart motorways seem like a death trap. Imagine trying to get babies and toddlers out of a broken down vehicle with lorries zooming past?

I don’t get your point. To me, you’re thick if you choose to stay in your broken down car if you have to opportunity to leave it. It therefore puts that the mercy of the many imbeciles out there.

My point is that it may not be logistically safely possible for various such as the person being elderly or disabled for one but many others. That's apart from the official advice.

Keep the hard shoulder as it is and fuck off the fast lane.. let's all travel speedily at 60 on the motorway and sleep at night

They should have kept the hard shoulder and just introduced the variable speed limit part of the smart motorway in the existing lanes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.