Snake Pass

Really_here

Team supported
City

I used to commute from Oldham to Sheffield before I retired. This could be a real headache for a lot of people. In the Summmer I used to go on my bike and stop on the way in for a bacon buttie and coffee at the Ladybower, like a mini holiday every day.

I work part time as a National Trust Ranger for the Dark Peak area and operate out of Gillott Hey, one of the locations mentioned in the BBC report. Complete closure of the Snake has been the subject of light-hearted discussion between my colleagues for a while now. Having just read this piece, I'm not laughing any more!

Last edited:
On a side note, it really is appalling that two cities (Manchester and Sheffield) that are so close together and divided by hills that would scarcely be recognised as such in Switzerland, have such shit connectivity. Whether by road or rail, it's a vile, overcrowded journey, and more mither than going twice as far to other places.

I used to think the Snake got its name from its winding route.

However, it comes from the 'Snake Inn' on the route, which itself was named after the arms of the Cavendish family. (E.g. dukes of Devonshire.)

Not a lot of people know that!
Will adder this to my trivial knowledge.

On a side note, it really is appalling that two cities (Manchester and Sheffield) that are so close together and divided by hills that would scarcely be recognised as such in Switzerland, have such shit connectivity. Whether by road or rail, it's a vile, overcrowded journey, and more mither than going twice as far to other places.
They've been 'planning' an upgrade to the route for at least 50 years although I believe work on a bypass around Motram Moor is due to start. I always feel so sorry for the people who live on Hyde Road near the start of the M67, that road is a car park at almost every hour of the day! If they do close the Snake Pass then the new bypass will have been a huge waste of money.

Train is fine as long as you don't get on the one that stops at loads of places

I suppose it could be argued that there's an alternative in the shape of the Woodhead Pass or even the motorway. What is a scandal though is that the direct railway line that ran from Manchester to Sheffield via Glossop was axed in 1970 (with the last freight train running in 1981) in an act of commercial stupidity. The Woodhead Tunnel, a magnificent feat of Victorian engineering, has lain dormant ever since. Had it remained open, I have no doubt it would be well used today.

Yes, that sign on the M60 which says “Sheffield M67” has to be one of the cruellest jokes in transport management!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.