How do we resolve the Brexit mess?

At the moment, we are still getting EU money.

The problem is that the EU's basis for allocating money to projects - fairness and need - has given way to a beauty contest between areas where a marginal seat is likely to get more.
Always going to be the case with one of the centralised nations in the Western world.

Five years ago there were Brexiteers claiming that we wouldn’t notice any difference and I tended to agree that the negative impact would be incremental and hence barely noticeable which would mean that things would just be a bit shit but not catastrophic. Seems the more extreme predictions from back then had it spot on.

Five years ago there were Brexiteers claiming that we wouldn’t notice any difference and I tended to agree that the negative impact would be incremental and hence barely noticeable which would mean that things would just be a bit shit but not catastrophic. Seems the more extreme predictions from back then had it spot on.

They were not extreme predictions. They were predictions arrived at by people who simply read the rules as applied to 3rd countries and observing how - in order to maintain the illusion you accepted that there would be barely any noticeable changes - they didn't build the facilities at Dover in time and they didn't recruit the staff to apply the rules that should apply on imports which now flood in unchecked on this side of the Channel. How anyone can think that is "taking back control" is beyond me.

Anyway the signs were there in plain sight - many with buyers regret try to blame their "victory" on a poor Remain campaign yet their blame often references Project Fear which simply illustrates they were prepared to lazily believe the lies because it was just easier than reading.............

At the moment, we are still getting EU money.

The problem is that the EU's basis for allocating money to projects - fairness and need - has given way to a beauty contest between areas where a marginal seat is likely to get more.
That can't be correct as it would imply some degree of corruption. And you can't accuse this mob of, erm, erm, being corrupt. Can you? I may have got that bit wrong.

COVID simply masked (boom boom) people from the harsh reality. It’s only as the months pass that they will start to appreciate that much of their pain is of their own making. Alas, I fear it is only going to get worse in the coming year.

They were not extreme predictions. They were predictions arrived at by people who simply read the rules as applied to 3rd countries and observing how - in order to maintain the illusion you accepted that there would be barely any noticeable changes - they didn't build the facilities at Dover in time and they didn't recruit the staff to apply the rules that should apply on imports which now flood in unchecked on this side of the Channel. How anyone can think that is "taking back control" is beyond me.

Anyway the signs were there in plain sight - many with buyers regret try to blame their "victory" on a poor Remain campaign yet their blame often references Project Fear which simply illustrates they were prepared to lazily believe the lies because it was just easier than reading.............
Agree that in retrospect they weren’t extreme at all just realistic. My view at the time was that pragmatism would overtake extreme brexitism and we wouldn’t end up outside both the SM and CU but I reckoned without an arsehole as PM implementing the agenda of his disaster capitalist sponsors.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.