So, if we don't win the Prem..

Mattyc55

Would you regard the season as a failure?

There is a long way to go, but do you personally regard winning the league cup and gaining CL football for next season as a successful first season for Pellegrini?

For me, its a no, for all that talk a month or so ago after trouncing Spurs away about how we could potentially score close to 200 goals, domestic treble's (which I believe a lot of us thought was doable) and how Pellegrini had us playing some of the most exciting football in the world. I wouldn't want to see the manager sacked, but I think one league cup in two years is simply not good enough for a team possessing this much quality. Plus, I believe it will only get more difficult once Mourinho buys the top class striker his team craves.

Its all very hypothetical, but do the rest of you think we have to go on to win the league to regard this season as a successful one, or would you regard it as a good start under our new manager?

No, considering it is Manuel Pellegrini's first season in English Football. He has already won a trophy and got us past the group stages in the Champions League. Going out of the FA Cup to Wigan was a blip though there was no real guarantee that we would of beaten Arsenal in the Semi Final.

With this squad, anything less than winning the league is an underachievement. We all loved the day out at the League Cup final, but if that is all we have to show for this season, and we finish second or third in the league, we'll have nowhere near achieved our potential.

Different fans have different ambitions though. Some are happy that we were electric for 6 weeks, and aren't too concerned about the rest of the season. I've even seen someone post tonight that that the season has been a success because "we were still in 4 competitions in March". Personally I find that baffling, as the major trophies are given out in May. Doesn't matter how good you looked in December, or how many competitions you are in during March. It's where you finish that counts, based on the whole season.

We've still got a great chance to win the league and I hope we can turn this recent form around and go on to win it. But for some to say it's been a successful season no matter where we finish in the league, they've got a very different opinion to me of the quality of our squad, and what we should be achieving.

Course its not a failure. A trophy (maybe two if they channel the obvious rage from tonight into beating all before us for the rest of the season), some valuable European experience, a chance to see who is and certainly isnt good enough, a first season in a new league under the managers belt.

We. Will. Fuckin. Fly. Next. Season.

mcmanus said:
No, because I'm not a spoilt ****.

This all over.

We won a trophy and know deep down more will come as the seasons go by. If not we'll still be here :)

mcmanus said:
No, because I'm not a spoilt ****.

Utterly perfect response. +1,000.

I'd call it a disappointment but not be of the mentality to blame anyone in particular. We had some bad breaks go against us (dominated Villa and lost somehow, the Hart/Nastasic cock-up, etc) and it seems as if Maureen has had nothing but fluky things going her way. I still remember how Andre Marriner just decided to award Maureen an extra point against Albion with one of the most egregious displays of bent officiating I've seen this side of the two-legged tie with these UEFAlona twats.

That's football. It happens. I try to look at it that the football gods will toss us a few crazy things next year and take a few away from Maureen.

Ray78 said:
No, considering it is Manuel Pellegrini's first season in English Football. He has already won a trophy and got us past the group stages in the Champions League. Going out of the FA Cup to Wigan was a blip though there was no real guarantee that we would of beaten Arsenal in the Semi Final.

No, we've spent hundreds of millions and trillions of pounds therefore we should win everything in front of us

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.