So Pep failed at Bayern?

It's very possible. I'd guess thought that RM and Barcelona are UEFA's giant money printing machines.

Outside of Germany Bayern has a good following but, and this is just what I've seen in daily life, they are small potatoes compared to the two "Spanish giants."

I know and work with a good number of Latinos. They all have a favourite side from their home country and or support their national team but almost to a person also count RM or Barcelona as a favoured club. My daughter plays football and the girls her age that are Hispanics usually support one of those teams as well. There is also a fair number of "Anglo" kids that support one or the other. Add this to adults and kids I see on the street who are obviously Latinos wearing football tops and these two teams are by and large the two major clubs supported.

I know this is all anecdotal, but it does appear to show the wide reach of RM and Barcelona. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see UEFA do anything it can to ensure one or both of these teams reach the finals every year.
Got to have that poster / screensaver / website banner advertising the final with Tranni on one side and Messi on the other side and UEFA logo and the ECL trophy in the middle.
Plus all those generous sponsors' logos underneath of course.
Not quite the same if a couple of anonymous player's from Bayern, Juve, Monaco, etc.
With a bit of luck, Juve will kill the UEFA dream tonight.

"

It's a question of what you like I supose. I'm entertained by seeing us win. Some people are entertained by 600 sideways 5yd passes per game.

The two are not mutually exclusive. Your suggesting that one of the only way's to be successful is through dour defensive football. Which is no the case...

What goes on at Bayern is not the point though. As long as the players agreed to play ball, you or I could take the helm in Munich and win the Bundesliga by April next year.

Pep's underachieved badly this year with us despite having had his right hand man beavering away here for three years prior to his arrival. Ignore the pretty football which is irrelevant and subjective anyway and we're doing as badly, possibly worse than in Pelli's final season.

This is the biggest load of bollocks i've read on her, not just said by you i may add, but the whole notion that because you've got a squad of great players the fucking tea lady could win the title winds me right up. You can't, couldn't and never will be able to as you've got no fucking idea what goes on inside a top club, how to keep everyone happy, training methods styles etc...

"

Yeah man I'm fucked.

I like teams getting to the CL SF 3 years out of 4. I like a club with a budget a fraction the size of their main two rivals punching way above their weight and winning the title.

It's a question of what you like I supose. I'm entertained by seeing us win. Some people are entertained by 600 sideways 5yd passes per game. Each to their own.

I agree that it won't happen though.

Or until they meet a half decent side and then get beat, or get to the final against a great side and get beat, just because their budget is less than other sides in the tournament doesn't make it a greater achievement. They've got a bigger budget than most of the other sides in Spain, get more money from the CL than their other domestic rivals and can stay out in front. They're pretty dour to watch, extremely cynical and there's hopefully no chance of Simeone turning up at City.

This is the biggest load of bollocks i've read on her, not just said by you i may add, but the whole notion that because you've got a squad of great players the fucking tea lady could win the title winds me right up. You can't, couldn't and never will be able to as you've got no fucking idea what goes on inside a top club, how to keep everyone happy, training methods styles etc...

Or until they meet a half decent side and then get beat, or get to the final against a great side and get beat, just because their budget is less than other sides in the tournament doesn't make it a greater achievement. They've got a bigger budget than most of the other sides in Spain, get more money from the CL than their other domestic rivals and can stay out in front. They're pretty dour to watch, extremely cynical and there's hopefully no chance of Simeone turning up at City.

I'm exaggerating to make a point pal. Obviously I couldn't but a half decent manager could assuming the players didn't down tools.

Belittling Atletico's achievements is daft. Whichever way you spin it Simeone has, in modern parlance, added value in terms of being successful. Their overall budget is much smaller than Barca and Real.

Cynical ? No team in history have been as cynical as Barca.

Question. Would you rather finish a distant 2nd or 3rd playing "pretty" football or win it playing pragmatic football ?

What goes on at Bayern is not the point though. As long as the players agreed to play ball, you or I could take the helm in Munich and win the Bundesliga by April next year.

Pep's underachieved badly this year with us despite having had his right hand man beavering away here for three years prior to his arrival. Ignore the pretty football which is irrelevant and subjective anyway and we're doing as badly, possibly worse than in Pelli's final season.

We are 2 points behind last seasons final tally with 6 games left. 4 wins from 6 and we finish 10 points better off. Not sure that constitutes doing as badly or worse?

It was the same when people were calling Mourinho a failure because he failed to win the CL with Madrid. Winning the CL is incredibly difficult, and nobody should be “expected” to win it within a 3 year period. By this logic, Fergie was a giant failure for only managing 2 CL’s in 26 years (Pep has the same number of CL’s in just 9 years).

Once you get to the semis, as Pep did every season at Bayern, you often run into other star studded, superstar teams who are either just as good as you or better, depending on the season. Calling Pep’s time at Bayern a failure is setting the bar so high that literally everyone else in the game is a failure. There’s nobody better than Pep in football, and though he might feel disappointed he didn’t manage to win the CL there, he performed reasonably well with Bayern.

This is why I have never had problems with Chelsea fans. They generally tend to be reasonable (excl the nobs in Paris).

Not sure how the fuck he's decided that his city team is "tailored to Pep's specifications" either...
The view is complete rubbish and a clear sign of ill-judgement, posted in haste to fit some poorly thought out theory he has in his head..
Basically.

I'm exaggerating to make a point pal. Obviously I couldn't but a half decent manager could assuming the players didn't down tools.

Belittling Atletico's achievements is daft. Whichever way you spin it Simeone has, in modern parlance, added value in terms of being successful. Their overall budget is much smaller than Barca and Real.

Cynical ? No team in history have been as cynical as Barca.

Question. Would you rather finish a distant 2nd or 3rd playing "pretty" football or win it playing pragmatic football ?

Firstly there's a reason some managers are decent, some half decent and some great, it's not about the players you have at your disposal although that helps but it's about motivation, keeping the fringe players happy, changing tactics to suit certain games and drilling that into the 'superstars' so that they work hard as well as just use their flair. If half decent managers could do it, Hughes would have done better as would Moyes, even AVB at Chelsea.

Secondly, would i like to win it all the time playing a style like Athletico, then no, would i be happy to win it every few years playing an attacking brand of football, being entertained every week even when we do lose then yes i'd prefer that.

I had a conversation with a lad after our first title who was adamant we now needed to go and win it every season, i said at the time and still believe that no team in England will ever dominate again and that being in or around the title but playing entertaining football was all that mattered to me, i've been going since the mid '70's and seen enough dour shite that being entertained was all i wanted, i accept that's not everyone's cup or tea but it's how i feel.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.