Son failing at school

super_city_si

Hey Blues

At my wits end with my oldest son. He's 15 and just doesn't give a shit about school. He is a great kid in every other aspect (no drugs no drink no fighting) but he just doesn't try at school.
We had him tested by am educational psychologist and he does have a mild learning disability which the school makes allowances for.

But its not so much his academic ability but more the fact he lies about assignments and doesn't complete homework. We (mum and dad) always find out as we are interested in his schooling and always attend parent teacher night and make attempts to have a relationship with his teachers.

He has passed (barely) grade 9 but now in grade 10 and his faults are ever more present. His teachers tell us he doesn't hand in homework or assignments which we try to impress on his are easy marks. He just doesn't want to do it. No matter how many times we express how important it is or how upset we are with him he doesn't care. He will cry and apologize and then a month later his teacher calls us and asks here his assignments are.

Anyway he had a science exam today and he failed. He left himself too much work after submitting 0 marks on 5 assignments. I am livid. We have set a time to see his guidance councillor next week where we will discuss what to do. Seems like summer school it is.

Has anyone else had this? Did you manage to get through to your son? Its like he is missing that part of the brain that makes you care what people think as he genuinely doesn't.

After the councillor I am seriously thinking of taking him to a phycologist. I just so upset to see him throwing his future away because he's lazy. What can I do?

p.s. I fucked up my A-Levels and still got 2 degrees, so he'll either find something else or he'll learn at some point with the right encouragement all the way through and make up for it.

I wouldn't say failing school means he is throwing his future away. It's important to an extent but if he gets an apprenticeship he will be able to do what wants. I'm 24 and I've never had an interview where GCSEs have been relevant. Even my A levels mean nothing. Experience is king.

I wouldn't say failing school means he is throwing his future away. It's important to an extent but if he gets an apprenticeship he will be able to do what wants. I'm 24 and I've never had an interview where GCSEs have been relevant. Even my A levels mean nothing. Experience is king.
True, its just sad to see him not trying. Im all for him taking a trade which I have spoken about with the wife. I just want him to have options to do something he likes.

he'll have to really like the person, if he doesn't he won't be arsed about the tutor work either, I wasn't. Just speaking from experience.
appreciate it. He had one he liked but she got pregnant and had to stop to look after her baby. For now I'm making him do a couple hrs a night regardless of whether he has homework or not, he can go over his work again. The hope is that if he HAS to do schoolwork then he might as well do homework.

I used to drink in a student pub on Oxford Rd, all the bar staff had degrees coming out of their arses and were pulling pints for a living.
Education is obviously important but people can still make good without top grades. I never took any GCSE as i was suspended in the last year and went digging holes for £15 a day instead of going back.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.