Sonic Highway- The Foo Fighters

big gaz

Any one else following this, I love it. Different city different song. Just love to see where they go who gets interviewed ( all top players so far ) Anyway beats the shit out of motd on a Sat these days ;-)
Best thing is you do not have be a fan of the Foo Fighters to enjoy this, looking forward to Seattle.

Excellent rockumentary. Good insight into the musical history of the cities and how it shaped the music scene. Best of all, finishes of with a Foo Fighters song.

Yeah, it's been really good. The DC episode has been personal highlight so far, had most of my favourite bands on there. Bad Brains, Fugazi, Minor Threat etc... Was great to see the Inner Ear studios.

Been good so far. I agree that you don't have to be into the Foos to enjoy it. As it happens I am a fan so it caught my interest.

Enjoyed the Chicago one in particular as Grohl talked about visiting relatives there as a teenager and it's where he attended his first gig with his cousin. Was amusing to hear that it was a punk band and predictably it was quite mental - not so predictably Grohl looked a right geek back then and was probably way out of his depth!

A bit disappointed that it's just American cities though - they spend a lot of time touring over here, and the UK's music heritage is equally as rich for me.

PistonBlue said:
Heard about this but thought it sounded a bit pretentious. Given the good reports on here I'll seek it out

I thought that , but the whole band come over well, and the people they work with and interviews just makes it for me. I mean Willie Nelson, Zac brown band and Bonnie Raitt and loads of others just top viewing.

M18CTID said:
Been good so far. I agree that you don't have to be into the Foos to enjoy it. As it happens I am a fan so it caught my interest.

Enjoyed the Chicago one in particular as Grohl talked about visiting relatives there as a teenager and it's where he attended his first gig with his cousin. Was amusing to hear that it was a punk band and predictably it was quite mental - not so predictably Grohl looked a right geek back then and was probably way out of his depth!

A bit disappointed that it's just American cities though - they spend a lot of time touring over here, and the UK's music heritage is equally as rich for me.

Most of Foo Fighters members are/have all been in punk bands. Grohl and Franz were in Scream, Nate and Will are in Sunny Day Real Estate, Pat was in The Germs and Chris has been in countless punk bands ranging from Me First and the Gimme Gimme's through to No Use For a Name. Punk is in the Foo's blood. Apart from Taylor who primarily played in terrible radio friendly rock bands.

given_is_ironman said:
M18CTID said:

Most of Foo Fighters members are/have all been in punk bands. Grohl and Franz were in Scream, Nate and Will are in Sunny Day Real Estate, Pat was in The Germs and Chris has been in countless punk bands ranging from Me First and the Gimme Gimme's through to No Use For a Name. Punk is in the Foo's blood. Apart from Taylor who primarily played in terrible radio friendly rock bands.
Sorry to be pedantic but Sunny Day Real Estate are not a punk band, more of an alt rock/emo band i'd say.

Inter Me Nan said:
given_is_ironman said:
M18CTID said:

Sorry to be pedantic but Sunny Day Real Estate are not a punk band, more of an alt rock/emo band i'd say.

Ok, I guess now you would put them into that bracket but at the time they formed they were punk. Just as Rites of Spring are classed as the first emo band but at the time they were just another great punk band from DC.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.