South Asian British and football

BosnianBlue

Team supported
City
Was reading Mumbai City thread and thought about something that was always interested to me but forgot to ask.

Why there's no more (or at all) South Asians in British football? There's significant population from these countries in England, but I can't recall any player making it to top level. I understand it's not very popular sport over there and first generation, second too were probably not really interested in football, but I see lot of fans of South Asian background on matches, even more on Twitter, but can't see footballers yet.

Are they still not bothered as a whole, lack talent or what.. you'd think with few decades in Britain and with football being a part of British identity, it would get popularized amongst that population too.

p13248.png

I know it's still most popular sports for them, but they live in football crazy country and kids get into football by playing it on the streets, neighbourhood playgrounds, by watching foootball all over the media etc.. I never was in Britain, but I guess there are far less opportunities to play cricket on the streets (I know barely anything about cricket, but it doesn't look like street sport), less pitches etc.. the only thing that sounds logic is if they mostly live in areas where they are grouped and still not mixed well with the rest of population so their non-football and pro-cricket mentality is not challenged yet completely.

It's a shame, them living in masses in Britain should have produce some top players so far that could play for their parents countries, make them better and popularize the sport over there.

I guess there were some reservations in early years, but I doubt there is racism going on these days. And it's professional sport, money is involved, clubs wouldn't care about race if kids were good.

It's the only possible explanation. That's why there are no black players either.

You are right. I remember, not long ago, a certain white player named Bernardo who racially abused a certain black player named Benjamin. In fact, that guy Bernardo had to pay a decent fine and got suspended for one game. Apparently, Benjamin was so depressed because of racism and that is why he almost didn’t play any footy during the last two years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.