Southampton (H) Post Match Thread

Discussion in 'Bluemoon forum' started by FantasyIreland, 4 Nov 2018.

1. IcriedwhenTueartleft

IcriedwhenTueartleft

We were down for the match yesterday and picked a good one. For the 1st time ever, we were in the Colin Bell stand, 231...bloody hell, comfy padded seats with more room...and less cost than sitting in the Gods in the East Stand...what's that all about? In addition, how busy was the town on Saturday night...what was going on?
    Anyway, kudos to the supporters in the East Stand 109 and 110 (?) for making some serious decent noise throughout the match, lot noisier than the chaps behind the goal....its a pity you can't all get together as that would be great to hear.
    A very pleasant, mild day with a superb City win. See you all again in March for the Watford game.

2. Tom_mcfc

Tom_mcfc

It is his only saving grace and it is said on here often, not underrated in the slightest. It is probably said more in defence of his recent poor games as a positive in it all.

3. FantasyIreland

FantasyIreland

His attitude/personality will affect his on field play IMO,because that is his make up.Like @supercity88 I think if you stick your head above the parapet in life,then you damn well need to be able to back it up otherwise you lead yourself wide open for criticism.The Championship comment is fair because 'at the moment' in his last two games,thats what hes looked like.

Mendy is a quality player and a fine athlete,i'm sure we'll see him back on form soon enough.In the meantime,play Delph.

Bentheblue and SebastianBlue like this.
  4. IcriedwhenTueartleft

IcriedwhenTueartleft

Pace?....he was caught ambling back a few times against Spurs and same yesterday. He looks slightly overweight to me, one hell of a "big unit". Southampton worked out that they could play the ball in behind him 2nd half and that caused us problems in the 2nd half. All their good stuff came down his side unfortunately. I don't know, perhaps he is still not fully fit or there is some other reason but he does not look that great defensively at all. I don't think you can have a player in your team that seems so inconsistent, one minute he is fizzing in a superb low cross, the next he is completely miskicking/misjudging a cross at the back.
    I'm sure Pep will sort it all out one way or there other though.

5. Didsbury Dave

Didsbury Dave

I think he's dead right: Mendy is a concern at the moment. He looked back to his best in the first half but this season, overall, he's making too many mistakes. Of course in the scheme of things it's a small complaint, just like the fact that we conceded too many half-chances to Southampton in the second half. But winning easily and playing brilliantly doesn't mean there aren't areas for improvement.

SebastianBlue and sir baconface like this.
  6. sir baconface

sir baconface

Absolutely. We should always be able to critique and Mendy has unarguably been below par the last couple of league games. It’s just the negative tone of one or two posters, who seem to get pleasure from rounding on someone, even after a 6-1 victory.

Pep does need to work on him though. His errors should largely be curable while his strengths are big assets.

SebastianBlue and Didsbury Dave like this.
  7. Father Paul

Father Paul

Some outstanding attacking play by all concerned yesterday but we did look a bit suspect defensively and yes Mendy had a lot to do with that. Basic errors and poor positional sense mean he is becoming a target for our opponents. It might be a concentration thing as I thought he an an excellent game defensively against the Dippers but yesterday looked a tad lazy at times and switched off. Overall given the strong start to the season by all the top teams bar the Rags I think the current position is more than we could have hoped for particularly given the fact that KDB has hardly kicked a ball in anger. A win next week effectively ends any challenge from Salford for another year and sends us into the Christmas season well in control of the situation.

8. FantasyIreland

FantasyIreland

If you're gonna use it as an insult,then get it fucking right......it's STRETFORD

9. SebastianBlue

SebastianBlue

To be fair, discussion (the main point of the forum) dies a fairly quick death if everyone is expected to just come on here and post praise and accolades all the time. And most that are discussing the potential weaknesses of our performance started off with recognising the exceptional nature of it.

Just because we want to discuss how we can improve doesn’t mean we don’t also understand how good we are, or that we are entitled or spoiled. We’re on a forum to dissect everything City, so we should be doing just that, yeah?

10. Cheadle_hulmeBlue

Cheadle_hulmeBlue

I never said you can’t discuss the game or points from the game did I ? I just don’t understand the moaning. We won 6-1 and a lot of posts on here are complaints and negative.

Right now there isn’t really a lot/anything to complain about and yes it does come across as very entitled.right now I would actually expect mostly praise tbh as we are near enough perfect. But it’s bluemoo so maybe I shouldn’t be surprised.

wagonman likes this.