Southampton (H) | Post Match Thread

We just seem to lack the ability to nick games that we don't necessarily deserve to win. You can just tell when City aren't at it and when we'll drop points.

Will be struggling for a long time then
Greaves was a player in a million
Sergio is a player in a million
The likes of I don't think I will ever see again but I see where you coming from.

We don't need a player in a million, just a decent player.

Even Delph seemed a good player in a Pep side.

Just don't get why it was seemingly Kane or no one.

Games like yesterday would've been wins if we had Harry Kane, it's really as simple as that. We knew last season we needed a centre forward, someone to finish the chances we create but we went for Messi, Ronaldo and Kane and ended up empty handed. We don't have a Plan B and most teams, when they face something new, are able to regroup and try to counter it within half a season. We're into our second season now with no striker. We're in danger of being found out.

As I've said many times now, we don't always need a top class centre forward. We just need someone competent to finish chances. He was ridiculed when he was linked with us, but Ings has started well at Villa and only cost £30m. He would've scored yesterday and we'd have won the game. I think Eduoard at Leicester is another who've get us goals against the Southamptons etc.

We've not started well and the players look tired already. I don't know if this is because of the Euros, but other teams don't look as tired as we do. One thing I am wondering is if we're taking it "easier" in the PL this year to go full tilt on the CL. It's a tactic that's worked for Liverpool, Chelsea and even Arsenal in the past. Maybe the club are realising that competing for the PL and CL is nigh on impossible? That's why we're really "tired".

I'm finding the lack of a striker really puzzling. Sterling has been appalling for us for over a season now. I do rate him, but something is just not right. He either needs a rest or to move on, I don't know, but he's a waste of a shirt at the moment. I'm sure that Torres will have a decent career but he doesn't look like a striker to me.

I'm also wondering if the player are a bit unsettled with Pep going soonish?

I know we've started slowly last year and won at a canter, but this year Chelsea, Liverpool and United are all going to give us a run for our money. If we genuinely want to be considered title-winners then games like Southampton at home are ones we have to win.

We just seem to lack the ability to nick games that we don't necessarily deserve to win. You can just tell when City aren't at it and when we'll drop points.
You could tell after ten minutes yesterday that we weren't at the races and it was going to be a frustrating day

You could tell after ten minutes yesterday that we weren't at the races and it was going to be a frustrating day

And if that was United or Liverpool, you know they'd find some way of getting those 3 points. It just seems like when the players realise they're not at their best, they kinda just accept it's not their day.

Oh for a a Jimmy Greaves type striker up front. I fear until we replace Sergio we are going to struggle certainly against the better teams.
I'm old and lucky enough to remember seeing Jimmy play in his last troubled years before retiring at 31. He effectively delivered all those stats by the age of 27/28. An immortal eternal legend. RIP Jimmy.

On the goalscoring front, do you think an out and out and out goalscorer would concentrate our goals into a smaller number of players rather than the wider share out we have now ? I know what you mean - the number of goals we score isn't an issue, it's the half chances that will come our way in the pressure games. Can we take them like Sergio tended to ?

And if that was United or Liverpool, you know they'd find some way of getting those 3 points. It just seems like when the players realise they're not at their best, they kinda just accept it's not their day.
That’s the same United that haven’t won the league in 8 years and the same Liverpool who have won it once in 30 years. Yes they clearly find some way of pulling it out of the bag better than we do.

Games like yesterday would've been wins if we had Harry Kane, it's really as simple as that. We knew last season we needed a centre forward, someone to finish the chances we create but we went for Messi, Ronaldo and Kane and ended up empty handed. We don't have a Plan B and most teams, when they face something new, are able to regroup and try to counter it within half a season. We're into our second season now with no striker. We're in danger of being found out.

As I've said many times now, we don't always need a top class centre forward. We just need someone competent to finish chances. He was ridiculed when he was linked with us, but Ings has started well at Villa and only cost £30m. He would've scored yesterday and we'd have won the game. I think Eduoard at Leicester is another who've get us goals against the Southamptons etc.

We've not started well and the players look tired already. I don't know if this is because of the Euros, but other teams don't look as tired as we do. One thing I am wondering is if we're taking it "easier" in the PL this year to go full tilt on the CL. It's a tactic that's worked for Liverpool, Chelsea and even Arsenal in the past. Maybe the club are realising that competing for the PL and CL is nigh on impossible? That's why we're really "tired".

I'm finding the lack of a striker really puzzling. Sterling has been appalling for us for over a season now. I do rate him, but something is just not right. He either needs a rest or to move on, I don't know, but he's a waste of a shirt at the moment. I'm sure that Torres will have a decent career but he doesn't look like a striker to me.

I'm also wondering if the player are a bit unsettled with Pep going soonish?

I know we've started slowly last year and won at a canter, but this year Chelsea, Liverpool and United are all going to give us a run for our money. If we genuinely want to be considered title-winners then games like Southampton at home are ones we have to win.
Pep's already stayed longer than anyone expected. He's here because he's happy overall. Lets just hope he remains happy. We need to drop this 'When Pep goes' thing. He'll go when he goes and deal with it then.

That’s the same United that haven’t won the league in 8 years and the same Liverpool who have won it once in 30 years. Yes they clearly find some way of pulling it out of the bag better than we do.
One bad result and performance and some on here think we should be taking lessons from no trophies Liverpool and Christiano United.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.