Southampton post match thread

It's disgraceful that Pellegrini uses scheduling as an excuse for that. The 11 players that started were still good enough to beat Saints. It's the effort and the performance that is the problem and he is clearly not able to get the most out of the players. The fact that this has been clear for all to see for 6 months now is extremely frustrating. He should have been shown the door after the Liverpool effort at home. Him and his corpse of an assistant shouldn't be anywhere near Madrid this week and the fact that he is sacrificing the league when our rivals are sweating on 4th place just to tick his own CL box is taking the piss.

It's not just "his box" though is it. Our owners want European Success.

Game turned on one moment for me....Sterling chipping ball to keeper from six yards out! Unfathomable finishing from a £50M international footballer. This was perhaps even worse than the header away at Villa.

That goal goes in, City play different game and not playing catch up all game.

As early poster said, that will be the last time most of those players sniff the first team, except on the end of season tour. From front to back, 3/4 are done. Some, like Delph, might be kept on for the squad depth and quota, and at this point I think Sterling has to be thanking his lucky stars he was born English!

That could be the worst game I have ever seen Kolarov play. Zaba is industriousness personified and I love him to death for it, but he can't keep up with ANY winger with pace and that ball in behind him is a killer. Dimechelis is just counting the days and the paychecks, and good luck to him. Bony? Not sure what to say anymore. Swansea Hero to City Zero in 18 months. Never even looks like scoring, even when he does!

We need to vastly improve our size and strength on the park. The big strong lad (Mangala) looks like a man amongst boys...until you put the ball at his feet, then it reverses in a hurry. And, how a fella that size isn't the new Dave Watson is beyond me. Half the headers he has go somewhere other than where he intended it, and I think he is doomed to be another Richard Dunne...clumsy enough around the box to give away a couple of pens and a few own goals every year. I hope like hell Pep can make something of the lad, because he has got all the attributes of being a monster CH for the next 6-8 years. Big, strong, fast...just clumsy with no nous.

Hate to see people slagging off Joe Hart for smiling. One of those smiles had a "fuck" in them. Goalies are just different people. Hart likes the one-one-one aspect of his job and appreciates the competition. But, to suggest he somehow laughs off a pasting? You're having a wobble! Those four goals hurt him more than anyone else...yet he STILL might be Golden Gloves AGAIN this year!

We ended the game with a back four that, with sole exception of Mangala, couldn't beat me in a foot race, and I'm 52, and a midfield of (right to left) a hobbling Navas, a knackered and pissed off Nasri, an out of place (and time) Dimechelis and a lost boy called Sterling. Meanwhile, upfront Bony was AWOL and Itchy was still sniffing for a hat trick...if we could just get the ball to him in or around the box!

All that said, Pelle is absolutely right...beat Arsenal, go third, and it is ALL still in our hands and this result didn't change that. If we can't beat Arsenal at home and Swansea away on last game of season to be in CL, then do the players even deserve to be there? The fans have made it pretty clear that tens of thousands of them don't give a toss either way until we get through the group stages, so what's it going to be? Distraught at not being in CL or showing up to support the lads if they do get there?

Tbh, if we are not 3rd or 4th, I'd prefer NO Europe, so we can concentrate on the league and domestic trophies. Europa League and Sunday matches? Who needs it?! Money is bobbins and you have to win it for it to mean a damned thing! I'd prefer to give Pep a straight run at theLeague, rather than fuck about with the second tier European distraction on a Thursday night.

Now, come on West Ham and do us a favor on Tuesday night, so I can enjoy Wednesday night even more!

Great post mate

Once he is gone, will those players then give a shit? No. They are out of the door and they know it. Pellers can shoulder a lot of blame, but yesterday, had that team given a shit, we may have come away with something.

He could see what was unraveling before him, but what could he do. If 1/2 the team don't want to know, the other half aint going to turn it around

He couldn't do anything.

He has never been able to do anything so how would he suddenly start there ?

We could do Pellegrini's job without leaving work/home/the bus/the bog, whatever. Just put out the most obvious side in the circumstances on a weekly basis, irrespective of the opposition or balance & put it in a 442, no matter which players are in it. Make sure to avoid using any 'untried' kids thus meaning they remain 'untried' all season.

Then tell everyone it's the only way & that you will do it again next game. Then do it again.

If he didn't even bother holding any training sessions, just phoned the side in from a beach somewhere without even seeing who the oppo was, & then randomly substituted someone on 56 mins, for whoever, there would be no difference.

Don't even know why I'm surprised that we got out arse handed to us yet again. Southampton were always gonna be up for it. And once again, our 'squad' players prove they have no fight, no motivation and no desire at all.

I have no problem with us losing games, everyone does. What I struggle to deal with is the same way we lose every single game. The lack of intensity and passion to win from a bunch of internationals is embarrassing.

The team selection was pretty much expected, Bony aside, and that team should have been good enough to put up some fight and get a result. Saying that, the majority of those players knew that they wouldnt be starting in Madrid so by the looks of it have just given up and couldn't be bothered to put a shift in.

Kolarov should never ever wear a City shirt again. Full stop. Zaba is past it and should go in the summer. Bony is beyond terrible. The likes of Nasri, Sterling, Delph should have been up for that, should be proving they deserve to start the big games. They're nowhere near. Iheanacho is gonna be world class and is the only positive to come out of yesterday.

As for Pellegrini, wow. To continuously blame the fixture scheduling to try and cover up his and the teams failings is quite simply pathetic. He didn't complain about Stoke being played just 3 days before Madrid last week yet complains this week? He's thrown the FA Cup to progress in the CL and that yesterday shows how much of a damn he gives for the league. I was amazed we were still in the game at HT after being shambolic. To then keep the same team for the 2nd half despite having Aguero on the bench says everything. Even more so when he brought Demichelis on. He wasn't interested in trying to win. It was merely a game we had to play but one he clearly couldn't care less what the result was.

Also, our attitude when we concede first is unbelievably poor. It seems rare that we will win a game having conceded the first goal. Off the top of my head, I can only think of West Brom at home when we did. Under Mancini, I was always confident we could turn a deficit around. No confidence at all in this team to do so.

He couldn't do anything.

He has never been able to do anything so how would he suddenly start there ?

We could do Pellegrini's job without leaving work/home/the bus/the bog, whatever. Just put out the most obvious side in the circumstances on a weekly basis, irrespective of the opposition or balance & put it in a 442, no matter which players are in it. Make sure to avoid using any 'untried' kids thus meaning they remain 'untried' all season.

Then tell everyone it's the only way & that you will do it again next game. Then do it again.

If he didn't even bother holding any training sessions, just phoned the side in from a beach somewhere without even seeing who the oppo was, & then randomly substituted someone on 56 mins, for whoever, there would be no difference.

Yeah OK

What I simply fail to understand is why on earth City are playing with a B-team in the league when top 4 is still anything but secured.
Just so the top players have enough rest for the Real Madrid game?
Surely, it's much more important to go over there with a good result in the bag, great spirit & a team that's connecting well.
What's the use in changing 5 or 6 players every game? How will that positively influence the Madrid game? Did KDB play any better against Madrid last week because he was allowed to rest the game before? Not at all. A good flow is endlessly more important than some rest. They are professional football players, it shouldn't take them more than 2 days to recover from 90 minutes of football.
The chances of City beating Madrid after the 0-0 at home are about 20% if I'm optimistic, why risk a top 4 finish for that?

There are two questions I would have liked sky and gmr to ask pellers after the game.

1 manuel you went with 4 4 2 today what weaknesses in southamptons play this season did you see that made you decide to go that way?

His answer would have been

I think it is important we focus on what is important for us and with an important game on Wednesday I thought it important to give the other important players a chance in an important game not focus on the opposition.

2 manuel could you please name 5 Southampton players?

Who?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.