Southampton post match thread

What gives you any confidence Pelligrini will select a team and a system to beat Arsenal, bearing in mind we`ve won 1 of the 15 games league games we`ve played against top 8 sides,

Leicester City
Away D 0-0
home L 1-3

Spurs
Away L 1-4
Home L 1-2

Arsenal
Away L 1-2
Home

Scum
Away D 0-0
home L 0-1

West Ham
Home L 1-2
Away D 2-2

Southampton
Home W 3-1
Away L 4-2

Liverpool
Home L 1-4
Away L 1-0

Dire reading isnt it
I think push will come to shove and this team will finally do it especially if we get through on Wednesday. Yes it is a dire record.

KDB is a prime example of a player who, largely due to circumstance, was overplayed when he first arrived and his form duly suffered.
It's true that his form dipped a couple of weeks after arriving, but it's hard to prove that it was because of being overplayed. It might as well have been a mental issue, or just by no specific cause at all, an inexplicable momentary dip.
The other way around, you should also acknowledge the fact that KDB had been on a fantastic run in recent weeks, arguably the best run he's had at the club so far, got rested one match v Stoke, and all of sudden turned invisible/ineffective v Madrid.
My point since the beginning: rotation will sooner risk your team to lose momentum rather than do them good because of the extra rests ...

As I just posted, science should play a supporting role but not determine everything. I couldn't say it any better than blueinsa just did with his spread sheet comment.
Science is one of the many factors to take into account, but you simply cannot justify resting the likes of KDB, Aguëro, Silva, ... all at the same time just because Delph & Bony are 7.05% more fit and 9.12% less injury prone for the moment.

But it's not about how fit Bony is, it's about what level the Madrid players will be at on Wednesday and the fact that we need every possible thing we can muster in our favour to be able to take a positive result away from the Bernabeu. Why would any City supporter want to consider doing the slightest thing to reduce our chances there?

Why would any City supporter want to consider doing the slightest thing to reduce our chances there?
That's were our logic differs, I think breaking up the team, slashing momentum & spirit is a lot more harmful for the chances at Madrid than playing your best team for two games in a row and risk one or two players not being completely, entirely 100% fit.

I can't comment on Barca this season as I have barely watched them - I used to watch almost every game. However, their key players used to play a lot of consecutive games under Pep but I don't think he and his staff were entirely happy about doing that and would eventually insist on a rest. The physical demands on Spanish teams are different though to Premier League ones.
City rarely rest certain players, Aguero and Toure among them but it is probably fair to say Kun was very much due a rest.

The rests should come in the league and FA cup.

As a club, we aim for the title and CL every year with our best players in every game and the domestic cups, the youth and fringe players pick up.

It's true that his form dipped a couple of weeks after arriving, but it's hard to prove that it was because of being overplayed. It might as well have been a mental issue, or just by no specific cause at all, an inexplicable momentary dip.
The other way around, you should also acknowledge the fact that KDB had been on a fantastic run in recent weeks, arguably the best run he's had at the club so far, got rested one match v Stoke, and all of sudden turned invisible/ineffective v Madrid.
My point since the beginning: rotation will sooner risk your team to lose momentum rather than do them good because of the extra rests ...

I acknowledge that KDB was disappointing against Madrid but given that he was instantly impressive after coming back from a layoff of several weeks, I am not inclined to concede that the rest vs Stoke was to blame.

As to your rotation vs well oiled machine; what I hope we will all witness next season is that all the players will be so well coached and familiar with the team's system that they will be able to rotate / interchange seamlessly, which is what I happen to think the objective should be for a top team trying to chase four trophies (or, hopefully, six). I should add that Pep will need time to get the squad used to his system.

It's a mentality problem that seems to run through the whole club at senior playing level, we have a manager who doesn't come across as a disciplnarian and is tactically stunted-it's one big fucking jolly for too many allegedly plying there trade as footballers at this club.

Until we have some homegrown players who have done the hard yards and have some affinity to this club and a manager with the balls to make drastic changes then it will be rinse and repeat for a good while yet. Pep won't be staying long enough to change this clubs mentality , he will be off back to Spain holding Txikis hand in three years mark my words.

Win a league, do fuck all, win a league, do fuck all.

Yawn yawn fucking yawn.

Tottenham and Leicester have made us look like fucking amateurs this season and the whole club should be fucking ashamed of itself .

Fight to the end my arse, we are a club lacking direction.

That's were our logic differs, I think breaking up the team, slashing momentum & spirit is a lot more harmful for the chances at Madrid than playing your best team for two games in a row and risk one or two players not being completely, entirely 100% fit.

We will also need to play our best team against Arsenal and always would have, regardless of yesterday's result. Also, it's not about risking one or two players not being completely fit; it's about the fact that anyone playing yesterday would be no more than 80% recovered for Madrid whilst their players have had an extra day to recover more.

That's what Pellegrini has had to consider and the risks and rewards involved and he decided to rest players yesterday. If it backfires on him then he will be open to the accusation that he made the wrong decision but I do not believe that he made an unreasonable decision in the circumstances.

The rests should come in the league and FA cup.

As a club, we aim for the title and CL every year with our best players in every game and the domestic cups, the youth and fringe players pick up.

Mate,

That really is not relevant to the here and now. We've won the League Cup and are out of the FA Cup and title race. This is simply about how much to risk top four against the prize of winning the UCL or at least going to the final. We will just have to wait and see if the decisions taken are the right ones.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.