Southampton Scouting

MadchesterCity

I know we don't play them for a few weeks yet but wanted to know what kind of a team are we likely to play?
I'll have to admit to not watching too much championship football last season so looking for info from the experts.

They were never out of the top 2 last season so obviously deserved promotion. Should we expect them to stay up?
They scored 121 goals last season so were pretty hot in front of goal.

What team are they similar to a Swansea/ Wigan or Wolves / Stoke?
I think they like to get the ball down and play it but would be interested hearing more information about them.

Who are there main threats? The stats tell me that it would appear that Lambert and Sharp were the main threats last season with 44 games between them in the league. How do we reckon they will step up, many players have proved deadly in Championship but failed to make the grade.

From what I hear they were dominated today in the Ajax game but we all know you can't read too much into pre-season matches.

Do they play a high defensive line or should we brace ourselves for them sitting in deep?

Please let me know what formation they will be likely to use and who will the starting team likely be.

Saints (4-3-2-1): Davis (Gazzaniga 46); Butterfield (Richardson 46), Stephens (Fonte 46), Hooiveld (Seaborne 46), Fox (Harding 46); Ward-Prowse (Chambers 46), Schneiderlin (Hammond 46), Lallana (Chaplow 46); Puncheon (Guly 46), Rodriguez (Shaw 46 (Clyne 69)); Lambert (Sharp 46).

Cheers

They will play a fluid system similar to Swansea, I fully expect them to stay up.

Not sure Sharp will do too much at Premier League level, Lambert is an excellent finisher though.

Lallana is a very good young midfielder, wouldn't have been disappointed to have seen him join us, similar to a fit Michael Johnson.

Jury on the defence is out too, they haven't been anywhere near a Premier League attack regularly for a while, I feel they need a new keeper too (which they are apparently the hunt for).

Wouldn't say they were dominated today, least not til they went behind (ok first 20 mins too!) and they attacked quite well. I have the feeling they will need to convert a lot more % wise of the chances they make, not so many opportunities in the Premier.

Chaplow and Schneiderlin decent players.

Well they aren't a kick and rush team! They are a very good footballing team and they'll stay up no problem

Bilboblue said:
They will play a fluid system similar to Swansea, I fully expect them to stay up.
Not sure Sharp will do too much at Premier League level, Lambert is an excellent finisher though.
Lallana is a very good young midfielder, wouldn't have been disappointed to have seen him join us, similar to a fit Michael Johnson.
Jury on the defence is out too, they haven't been anywhere near a Premier League attack regularly for a while, I feel they need a new keeper too (which they are apparently the hunt for).
Wouldn't say they were dominated today, least not til they went behind (ok first 20 mins too!) and they attacked quite well. I have the feeling they will need to convert a lot more % wise of the chances they make, not so many opportunities in the Premier.

Chaplow and Schneiderlin decent players.

Thanks Bilbo, so is Lambert likely to play as a front man in a 4-5-1 formation? I see they signed an Argentinian keeper but are they still looking for a stronger number 1? Always excited to see new teams in the Prem, is Lallana the primary playmaker?

Do they look to play through the middle or down the wings or mix it up?
What about the lad Clyne, will he be ready for the right back spot?

Could you guessstimate a starting line up?<br /><br />-- Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:08 pm --<br /><br />
waspish said:
Well they aren't a kick and rush team! They are a very good footballing team and they'll stay up no problem

interesting that may work against them though, if its pass v pass and you can't dominate possession then confidence can drop off.

Will they do much more business in the transfer market?

I take it they have good financial backing?

Swansea had got us thinking in the first match of last season but eventually won 4-0, so we have to be patient against Southampton.

It took a while to break Swansea down.

They set up to not concede, first half we had them chasing about. We tired them out, let the ball do the work. We gave them the run-around, then mid second half when they started to tire and look sloppy we hit them hard. Then the flood gates opened.

If it was 0-0 at HT against Southampton, i wouldn't be surprised. Got a feeling we'll see another Swansea, we'll bide our time. Unless Saints come out and go for it, which i highly doubt they will.

1st game of the season away in the top division in English football after being newly promoted against the most prolific scoring and defending team in the country the year before and not to mention champions....IMO 10 men behind the ball and hope for the best

Made some very, very good signings to add to a decent squad. But we need to exact a bit of revenge for them beating us on Maine Road's last day!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.