Southerners Who Support City

As long as they have a real passion for the club i don't really care where City fans come from .

stony said:
fathellensbellend said:
do people who live north of manchester get the same dis respect as people who live south of manchester, ie does a geordie city fan get more respect than a cockney city fan

People in South Manchester do tend to look down on people in North Manchester for some reason.

The feeling isn't reciprocated towards the South Mancs though.

I think this is because we are more, educated, liberal and forgiving in North Manchester, and we don't succumb to petty rivalries.

Not like those ill mannered, banjo playing, chav bastards from the south of the city. ;-P
South Manchester is 100 times better. ;)

Southern KK said:
I suppose the question was asked as it might be hard to comprehend living in a city/town that does not have such a great football heritage as Manchester; it must be the most concentrated football city. Not being from Manchester I would guess that a lot of talk in Manchester revolves around football; that is the impression you get reading the forum comments.

Where I come from the nearest league football is Aldershot, and that is only recently. Before then it would be either south London or South coast. And ae don’t have that lively football debate down here; mores the pity.

My love of all things blue started when my mum and two brothers returned from living in Jamaica throughout the sixties, leaving my Dad behind.

My first best friend at school one day asked who I supported and I had no idea what the hell is was going on about. After explaining that everyone must support a football tem I asked him who he supported; he replied Man City. As it was good enough for him then it will do for me.

Later that year we all returned to Jamaica for our holidays and I told this story to my Dad. He had never talked about football before but I was amazed to lean that when he went to collage in Jamaica in the 40/50s his college house was called Manchester City, (The other houses were named after other England teams) and he had always supported them. So I have stayed with them now for 40 years this winter.

Manchester may not be in my blood but City is in my passion.
This is my favourite.

I have a lot of respect for all that travel so far to watch Gods own club.

I remember always seeing the Cheltenham coach at Maine Road, It use to have a big flag in the back.
It think its great that we have passionate supporters in the south, and all over the country, and in different parts of the world.
I remember in Majorca in the nineties walking into the pool area with my new maroon away top on. This lad came over and said, wait there. Came back and he had the home kit on, Where was he from? Sweden.

Cheltblue said:
Bunk said:
Citytillidie69 said:
Guys - just out of interest - How and why did you become blues?

(I reckon you must all be masochist's or have some other perversion)

My support of City is bore out of a fairly deep-seated and somewhat disturbing hatred of Manchester United. As a youngster I hated their players, I hated the manager (same tosser in charge now) and I hated the fact that almost all the kids in my Southern school supported them for seemingly no other reason other than they win all the time.

Man City seemed the natural choice.

My support for the club quadrupled when I moved to the city aged 18, I was a regular at Maine for many years, those were the first football matches I’d ever been to.

The nearest vaguely half-decent team to where I grew up is Cheltenham, currently sat at the very bottom of the old Third Division, a lofty position when compared to their league position when I was a kid growing up (not even sure they were in the league at all).

You left the mighty Cheltenham............................................shame on you! ;)

Actually, I left Stroud to be exact, but I left for MANCHESTER!! :)

Now I live in Singapore, but that's another story altogether.

I still have property in Cheltenham though, Hewlett Road, just off London Road! I lived in the town centre for about 3 years before expatriating out here to Singers 18 months ago, I had no idea there was such a huge City fanbase in The Nam, seems quite random but I'm all for it!

Yes i do hate southern rags, but there again i just hate rags period. If you come from anywhere outside manchester what does it matter as long as you support the blues for the right reasons, and its not just a fad its for life its fine by me. I come from salford you can`t get any raggier than that ,but i`ve support city all my life. I say good on ya and welcome. Any body who say`s different is a numb nuts

I've a mate from London who watches City, his premier league team like, still supports his local league 1 team and they come first before City, but he's only here for university and he refused to support the rags so fair play. Only connection to Manchester he has is going to university.

seafordblue said:
I often question why I do it and still can’t pin point a good reason. I just know that I really look forward to each game and have done since my first game as an 8 year old. I decided to support City because a) I had no local team within 30 miles, b) my mates supported the other Manchester team and I wanted to be different and c) I had no idea Manchester was so god damn far away. Nowadays, I travel to every home game – a 580 mile round trip, drag my wife and 2 young kids to most matches and have a flat opposite the ground to make the journey more bearable. I often wish I had been born in Manchester and had a Manchester accent. It would certainly save me from constantly having to justify my mad obsession. My Dad lived in Manchester for a few years when he was a young boy. Will that do? I do feel that there is a very ‘snobbish’ attitude amongst Manchester born City fans towards southerners, which really does need to be addressed if we are to have a larger following and at the very least fill CoMS each week.
i think only dickheads think any less of you southern blues. If they were right does it mean people from stockport, bolton, oldham, etc etc should support their local teams its bollox of the highest order

My family moved to Brinscall nr Chorley in early 67 from London when I was ten because of my dads work, and dad knew Franny Lee vaguely through work so because of that I chose City as my team. That was before we won anything but the first three or so seasons were great and I thought it would always be thus!

We then moved back down south to Chelmsford again because of his work in 71, but I'd chosen my team and that was it. I don't get to many games now as I do support my local club Chelmsford City. I used to go to several away games down south every year but not so many nowadays as I'm heavily involved with Chelmsford as I do the p.a. there giving grief to any of the little mascots who say there favourite other team is Man Utd!

I accept that to a lot of you I'm more of a fan than a genuine supporter like yourselves who get to most games, but City have been my club for over 40 years and I get just as jubilant when we score and win and as peed off when we concede and lose as you do. I do get defensive though when asked who I support and I'm always quick to point out I used to live in Lancashire and I'm not like your typical 200 mile away glory hunting rag!

sdavros said:
Citytillidie69 said:
Most southern City fans have a Manchester connection anyway - the southern rag fans you are talking about are mostly glory hunters who chose united because they were winning things and had never been to Manchester before.

You can't really accuse the current southern City fans of being glory hunters can you? its the ones that may well jump on board after Istanbull (lol) in May that I will object to.

Its the Irish City fans I object to........only joking Sdavros

good one. i would have went off on one if you didn't put in the joking part. :)

And me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.